Thread: Regs Question

Default Regs Question

I’m wondering if anybody could help me interpret some regulations for a creek that I am visiting next month. It is Usal Creek in sinkyone Wilderness Area, Mendocino County.

The regulation is as follows.

Usal Creek and tributaries

Fourth Saturday in May through Mar. 31.

Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used from the fourth Saturday in May through Oct. 31.

Only barbless hooks may be used from Nov. 1 through Mar. 31

And the special regs state:

Extension of the low flow restrictions angling closures for the north coast and central coast areas (above San Francisco Bay) until April 30.

My question is, if I am there at the end of March, Is it fishable?

Also, if you can't answer my question, do you know who can?

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    -Juan

Check out my fishing adventures at: http://breakingbank.blogspot.com/

I can give you my opinion.....So, I will.

Usal is small. There may be some small fish that are not anadramous, but most likely anything you catch will be anadramous and should probably not be harassed. Also, it seems unlikely the DFW will open any of our coastal streams from the low water advisory this year, which is fine with me given the struggles these fish faced last year and this year.

Otherwise the regs are pretty clear. Yes, if the stream is open from the low water advisory then you can fish. Barbless, single hook.

What I might suggest instead is to try the surf line on the coast and/or the rock fishing. Completely different but always doable.

Usal is a beautiful place to hike and just relax. Fishing has never been a big attraction there. If the low water has been lifted there are other places to fish not far to the south. Navarro, Big, one north of Fort Bragg....

Thank you for answering my question Bob. I have only been there once and dont really remember how big the creek was. I thought it might have some trout in it, which is why i wanted to fish it. I probably will just end up surf fishing. Thanks again.
    -Juan

Check out my fishing adventures at: http://breakingbank.blogspot.com/