Thread: BOB CHURCH rod

Default BOB CHURCH rod

9'6" 7-8 wt bob church &co ltd by Powell usa I bought it in the mid 80s at the sports expo does anyone have any info about this rod. is it really a "Powell" ?

Question Bob Church....

From what I've been able to gather about the rod, it's not a Powell. Bob Church is a former commercial rod builder, equipment and accessories supplier whose home is England; now retired. Apparently, his retirement was premature due to increased competition from larger, mass produced brands.

Sorry I can't provide more info on this but at least you found out your rod isn't a Powell.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Actually your rod probably is a Powell. Press supplied Bob Church with black Signature Series blanks in the late 80's...quite a few blanks actually. I think Mr, Church turned out to be a bit dodgy with payment and the Powells lost a fair amount of money on the deal. So your rod is a Powell blank built out in England. I'd love to talk a bit more on this rod. Can you send me an email at rich@classicpowellrod.com?
    Thanks,
    Rich
    Last edited by Rich Morrison; 02-12-2014 at 07:00 PM.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

I referenced some stuff - those Bob Church rods were not black but charcoal and they were SS rods - so pretty much Private Label West Branch rods. For some reason I remembered coal as the color. And Powell did not sell blanks but completely built rods...so your rod is a Powell factory rod.
    Last edited by Rich Morrison; 02-13-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

thank you all for the info. rich Ill get some pics and send,

Great - Thanks! I've never actually seen one of the Bob Church rods. There was a bit of tip toeing around them since Powell lost quit a bit of $$ on that deal.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com