Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Release Indicator?????

Being able to stand up while casting helps as well, especially when fish 20'+ leaders.

Depending on how you set up your indicator (pin towards or away from your rod tip), you can use a single rubber bobber stop to avoid losing the pin if you get snapped off by a fish. The bobber stop works in place of the swivel.
    This video may help the original poster as far as how to set up the indicator.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt8Xw...e_gdata_player
    SF
    Last edited by stonefish; 02-09-2014 at 04:07 PM.

The video posted by "stonefish" describes the indicator system I was talking about. I had the
    tear drop shape.
    Best,
    Larry S

When deep indicationg you do not have to cast far at all, in fact I use this system for complete rookies, all they have to do is get it over the boat. We had plenty of hook ups last season when the bobber was a rod's length away from the boat. Rob's leader has 30lb specrta line so the line will not break where the indicator is at. At the bottom of the spectra line there is a swivel where you just add 4-10 feet of floro tippet. You can make your own, but make sure you mark the spectra line with a sharpie felt pen every foot so you can pin point your presentation depth.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I like to thank everyone for sharing your info; and tips.....i'm going to try Rob Anderson Lake Leader with a 20 ft. tippet of fluorocarbon......

.....or what would be a good 30 ft. leader to fish midges???????

Not familiar with that one. (Reply to Shig)

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    I was looking for a indicator to fish deep water 20+ ft.., that would release when you hook a fish, so you could land the fish in a net from a float tube....i would welcome and feed back.....i'm clueless
    Gene, everyone has there own personal preference. I had Phil Rowley on my boat last June at Crowley and he was using the loop sliding leader system that he and Brian Chan have used together for years. After a few hours he took off his leader system and starting using this systemClick image for larger version. 

Name:	slide.165.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	8537 I use at Crowley in 20 to 25 feet of water. I feel this system with spectra is better than the rest! My reason, is that when you have a long leader system of any mono or fluorocarbon you have way too much stretch (as much as 3 to 4 feet) on the hook set. This is one of the reasons I don't care for the looped leader systems, I don't feel you don't get the best and quickest tension to the fish in deep water. You need all the help you can get especially when fishing out of a float tube in 20+ feet of water like I do at Crowley.

Also be aware that is helps to use a 6wt or 7wt rod to have more bone to get down to the fly under the indicator. I use 7wt rods when I am in 20 to 25 feet of water.

This is just my opinion on deep water setups. Everyone has there own techniques and has "confidence" in there system that has worked for them.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by catch&release; 02-09-2014 at 09:12 PM.
    I do love me some "Stillwater" fly fishing....Ernie

Ernie Gulley Fly Fishing Guide Service

(909)953-1770

Email: erniegulleyflyfishing@aol.com
    Web: www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com

I also use the Quick Release Indicator from the Stillwaterflyfishingstore that SHig uses.

I have a rig that's dedicated to deep indicator fishing and doesn't get used for anything else.

It's a 10' 5wt TFO Pro (medium fast action). I use an cheap 8wt SA Headstart line because I want to get that rod loaded up with 20' of fly line out.

I'll nail knot 18' of 12 lb fluoro directly to the flyline with no loops involved because that connection will spend a lot of time running in and out of the guides with a hot fish on. At the bottom end I tie on a welded stainless ring big enough to keep the Indicator attached if the tippet sections break, and a split shot just above the ring. I usually use two flys. 3' 3xTippet gets tied from the ring to the upper fly. And at least 2' or more, 4x to the bottom fly. I've had larger hooked fish snag themselves around the tail on that upper fly and that's a bummer for the fish and me, so now I keep more than 2' between flies. This is my normal rig. I'd scale up the tippets for Pyramid. This rig can cover from 6 to 23' of depth.

here's a pic of the components

I don't want a tapered leader for two reasons.
    First, there can not be any knots in that 18' section because QR indicator wont be able to slide past them down to the end.
    Second, the pressure used to set the indicator remains consistent no matter where along the leader that you place it.
    The weight of the ring, shot and two weighted flies will turn the leader over.

You want to watch it carefully when it hits the water. If you see plop, plop, plop , you're good.
    One or two plops and your rig's buggered up.

It's easier in a boat, but you can cast this rig from a float tube. I have 20' of fly line out and the leader hanging straight down in the water. Over lining 3 or 4 wts helps a lot with this.

Start a gentle back cast, a medium hard forward cast, and a strong second back cast, and let it fly shooting 10' more fly line.
    Your flies won't leave the water until the second back cast. They won't tangle in the water. They probably will tangle false casting in
    the air for too long. Think of this as a vertical waterstart cast

Quote Originally Posted by catch&release View Post
    ...I feel this system with spectra is better than the rest! My reason, is that when you have a long leader system of any mono or fluorocarbon you have way too much stretch (as much as 3 to 4 feet) on the hook set...[snipped]
    Ernie,

Very interesting. Had not thought of using GSP in a leader to reduce stretch. Makes a lot of sense, even from a general nymphing point of view...although how much the strike sets the hook with 20' of line out and how much of the work the fish does itself is an interesting question. Will have to experiment with this a bit, considering that both you and Rob and worked this into your leaders. Any particular color you favor? Thanks!

And to the OP, if you are looking for the release bobbers online, try Cascade Crest Tools and if you need a LOT of them try Hagen's Fishing Components.
    -JD

Quote Originally Posted by Troutstalker55B View Post
    This is the slip bobber I used last year at Lake Davis for deep water presentations and I'm quite pleased with it.

This is what I use. Find the depth by hanging a hemostat off your leader. Works great for fishing midge larva. Nothing like 20"+ trout on size 20 or smaller flies.
    Don Gustafson

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Ernie,

Very interesting. Had not thought of using GSP in a leader to reduce stretch. Makes a lot of sense, even from a general nymphing point of view...although how much the strike sets the hook with 20' of line out and how much of the work the fish does itself is an interesting question. Will have to experiment with this a bit, considering that both you and Rob and worked this into your leaders. Any particular color you favor? Thanks!

And to the OP, if you are looking for the release bobbers online, try Cascade Crest Tools and if you need a LOT of them try Hagen's Fishing Components.
    Much stiffer rods, 6wt I prefer 7wt rods make all the difference in the world. I do this kind of fishing months at a time at Crowley and other stillwaters and believe me you can also go with much bigger tippet in deeper water.

The color, not sure if it would make a difference, I have always preferred green and used the 20lb spectra. I like the much smaller diameter so its more sensitive. Also prefer a tippet ring, much smaller and cleaner leader system.
    Last edited by catch&release; 02-10-2014 at 07:58 PM.
    I do love me some "Stillwater" fly fishing....Ernie

Ernie Gulley Fly Fishing Guide Service

(909)953-1770

Email: erniegulleyflyfishing@aol.com
    Web: www.erniegulleyflyfishingguideservice.com