Thread: Trinity Drift Ideas

Default Trinity Drift Ideas

I've done Evans to Sky, Indian Creek to Steiner and Lewiston Bridge to Bucktail. I'm looking for some new day long drifts on the Trinity. In a two man toon, so a drift where we could get out and wade a bit too would be nice. We are by no means pros on the sticks, so I'm a bit leery of heading into Class III stuff below Pigeon.

I sure would appreciate any ideas. PM if you'd prefer.

Thanks.

Try to copy and paste this
    TrinityRiverboatinginfosheet copy.pdf

It describes the water from Lewiston to Pigeon Point. PM or email me if you can't bring it up. I think Aaron Stiny
    first posted this. I always thought the section from Douglas City to Junction City would be an interesting drift.
    Not much road access in that stretch.
    Best,
    Larry S

Here is just about every possible combination of floats with a short description of each...

https://goldcoastshuttles.com/

-Ben

Ben,
    Wow, great link! This Internet thing can be the greatest.
    Best,
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    I always thought the section from Douglas City to Junction City would be an interesting drift.
    Not much road access in that stretch.
    This is a very nice drift, one of my favorites when I used to fish the Trinity. "...'round the mountain..." is what I referred to it as.

It's a long drive for only 6 or so river miles. Last I heard, the shuttle fee was $50, which may or may not be accurate. The actual drift I would do is from Dutton Creek to Evans Bar. Douglas City to Junction City would be very long drift. Dutton Creek to Sky Ranch Road would extend the drift some and save some driving on the bottom end.

Didn't use to see many other boaters on the stretch, though, like everything, that may have changed over the years.

That is a great link Ben, very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Time View Post
    Douglas City to Junction City would be very long drift.
    I did this my first time on aboat in the Trinity. My guide called it "The Canyon". We saw one other boat the entire time and not one bank fisherman (once we passed steiner flat). That day, we hooked and landed 11 fish. 8 steelies! Checking the reports around that time, not many people were doing so well. It seemed worth the headache of the shuttle. I'd be willing to try it and use my truck as a shuttle. I have a truck too so I can pull a trailer.

Turned out that we hit the rains just right. The water eventually took on a nice green hue. We touched multiple fish each day, of which most made it to the boat. All wild fish save for one hatchery hen. Some fish were brighter, some had been there for a while. The usual small nymphs were the ticket.

The Gold Coast Shuttle site was very informative and Bill and Caryl were great. We floated Evans to Sky, Sky to Lime and Sky to JC Campground. The water in the sections was very very bony, even below Canyon Creek. You could hear the drift boats going through the riffles a mile away. DFG showed up as we took out at the Campground. Nice to see them making the rounds.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cool,
    Nice timing. Glad you had success. Sent you a PM.
    Best,
    Larry S