Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ultimate Pair of Nippers?

Danyen,

I believe you're the guy I spoke with on the phone a week or two ago about the Ross rods, careers and the merits of being self taught. If so, it was a great chat. Glad to see you on here. Hope you are doing well.

Cheers,

Zaq

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    I've been using a nipper called "The Snip". So far they haven't failed and still sharp. It even cuts braided lines. My back up is a pair of finger nail clippers purchased from Walgreens at 75 cents. I do have a pair of Abel's and a pair of Shimano's

Jay

The snip is pretty amazing for what it will do. I've never had much need for nippers to cut 4x tipper, but when I'm rigging gel spun backing, the snip is priceless. Not to mention when I'm fishingb braid on my gear rods.
    Eat it. Eat it. Simon says EAT IT!!!

To answer some of your questions and post content...
    -The price point target is 19 to 24 bucks for the first model.
    -I am deploying design for manufacturing, "DFM" and finite element analysis methods in the design of the nippers. See below why.
    -While the process and materials that I want to use sound expensive, I have an extensive background in designing " composite" parts, meaning I combine several processes and materials into a single part...all based on geometry and material/cost optimization for the part in question...plus loads of traditional composite part design and manufacture in carbon for the ski, bicycle and automotive markets.
    - while I agree that a seventy-five cent pair of nippers will do about the same thing...the nippers I am in the process of designing will cut thru the toughest braid...and they are definitely overkill for 4x and smaller Tippett materials...basically it's a tool...you pay once for quality and longevity...it's a personal thing I respect...heck, I have way to many nippers anyway, and a I carried Trim fingernail cutters for years...basically some of use will only fish with a high end rod and reel, while others,including myself have caught a lot of fish on a old fiberglass Fenwick and who knows what reel and line...fortunately, I have a full rod building setup and I get to fish with a reel I designed...it's all a personal issue, and it's not an issue with me.
    - on ergonomics...I believe that the design will shock a few people in how it works mechanically. I'm 57, and I get the issue with designing for us baby boomers...maximum function, minimal force with proper design based on bio-mechanics and not on copying what's already been done because that's the norm...There are a lot of things out there that are only incrementally better than it's predecessor...for me it's not worth designing a me- too product.
    - for reference on amorphous metals check out this company's website. Www.liquidmetal.com I have designed parts in the past for this company and the technology/ material / process was licensed by Apple for its products. Previously the process was used by Nokia for cell phone internal framework.
    Also I saw a new RP technology that can actually lay down carbon fiber into rapid prototype parts... Here is the website www.markforged.com .

Off thread - Zaq, yeh it's me...a second opinion on the "issue" this week looks like I will not lose the ability to cast in the future...surgery is slated for Feb 17... And if all goes well, I will be back on the Truckee in less than six weeks...not out of the woods yet, but it really pays to get multiple opinions...

Danyen,

Good to hear! Can't wait to see your design.

Z