Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Pair of Nippers?

Quote Originally Posted by mems View Post
    Aloha, my ultimate nippers are my teeth, just don't tell my wife.
    The time will come when they just won't do this job any more. It came for me a couple of years ago.

I carry an Orvis nipper for the small stuff and some stainless toenail clippers for larger mono.

Ted

Never was a big fan of 2 in 1 or 3 in 1 tools. When I want my nippers I grab my nippers, not my hemo/nipper/whatever else you add to it thing a ma bob.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I'm with Scott V, a Swiss Army Knife and the Leatherman Tool (and their clones) are the only real combo tool that works. I have a pair of Rising Hemo/scissors with the one oversized finger loop and while it will bend barbs, remove flies from fish (and flesh), as well as crimp and assist in the removal of split shot, I still carry two nippers (1 on my lanyard and 1 on my vest) for cutting leader material. Fly fishing combo tools tend to be like a Cadillac Eldorado that's been customized with a Ford F-150 Pick-up bed...each, individually, has their functional place but when they're combined into a single vehicle they don't work out that well.

First of all, a very grateful thank you from my side for all of the replies to my posts. I got a lot out reading your posts and I will try to explain where this project is going. Also take me with a grain of salt on my replies...I am not a know it all, egotistic type...I just have an Irish sense of humor...this all about fishin', making something a little bit better, or a whole lot better, and not getting all out of sorts...I've seen to many other forums where people get into digital shouting matches...not my style and I respect everyone's opinion...Nuff said...

1. There are definitely several directions of thought, " camps" in my jargon, on what constitutes an ultimate nipper. I respect all of these, but for now I'm concentrating on the nipper only direction. But, in the technologies and materials that I'm working with, either a hemostat or leatherman derivative could be produced. I have already sketched a multi tool nipper concept that is manufacturable, so I have been thinking in that direction for the future. In my opinion there is no right or wrong in what you use, it's more what works for you and the fact you are out there using them fishing!

2. Off subject...I carry a leatherman everywhere, I have one in each of my vehicles;one that stays in my permanent backpacking essentials collection;and one that is my fishing gear duffel. Love the brand and it's products...it helped I did some consulting with the company about 15 years ago...I also only buy and carry Benchmade knives for the same reason. I appreciate the quality and craftsmanship. Expensive essentials, but wort every penny.

3. Here is my statement on every nipper out there that I have seen, regardless of the manufacturer. They all use old school, brute force to "cleave" the line. My design is totally different. I have three design directions to pursue that eliminate the brute force issue.

4. Most nippers cutting surfaces dull, because the cutting edges smack together due to the compression/acceleration/de-
    acceleration phases of "cutting" a line. Solved this issue in the first half hour of designing this toy. Showed my attorney, at my desk, how this solution worked on some 30 lb backing he used on his salt water rig...he got the concept immediately...my attorney is a great guy, a fly fisherman and fly rod builder...so lawyer jokes don't apply to him!

To answer some of your comments directly:

Roywest- paid attention and took notes on your comments, thanks again.

Cyama- titanium is so passé! ...amorphous metals is where it's at these days...all I can say for now.

Mark k- the Multi tool nipper design has a "gutter" blade...I eat an occasional fish myself...or if it's crappie...I eat em all!

JamesW- I have a pretty good set of Shun knives I bought while I was working in Osaka, plus a few Kyocera ceramics that were given to me as parting gifts by Kyocera/Qualcomm in Japan. I get what you are saying. My design is not very sensitive to the blade edge cleave angle ...but I will be grinding edges in the same angle range to see what works the best. I will also have a non ceramic material that can go to 92RC, without being brittle.

Paulc- yes, I will be using laser metal sintering technology, but in a different way...when I start making parts I'll post a few pics of them. Sounds like you work with or been around RP technologies...I started with 3Dsystems in '95...worked with FDM,SLS, SLA AND LMS companies here in the States and Japan...really impressed with some of the Japanese SLA systems that couldn't be imported into the US.

J-bird- the proof of concept cuts through limp arse braid like butter...this was the original design goal...without all of the thumb pressure issues...I have also cut every braided fishing line out there, including non-fishing market Kevlar and spectra cordage with the same result.

Bill K.- thanks for the market info...I could only get it from a person like you...thanks a million. Since you and your company have been around for awhile...I'm sorry to say I haven't been to your shop before...but my next trip over the summit to see my kids in the Bay Area , I'll be sure to stop in. I need to buy a line for my 8wt switch I just finished specifically for Lake Pyramid Lahotan's...

Cheers,
    dan

Dan, interesting! Can't wait to see some sneak peeks as you move forward! Good for you and good luck ,sounds like a fun project.

You know, you may need some field testers

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

No one has mentioned corrosion resistant. I assume most amorphous metals are relatively corrosion resistant? If you're targeting salt water anglers it better be corrosion resistant.

I'm not a big fan of the over design multi-tool / swiss army knife. I do carry one in my boat bag but I don't carry it on my belt or in my pack when wading. So I agree with those who said keep it simple and focus on a couple key aspects. For my purposes, those aspects would be small flat jaws (spring loaded) for pinching barbs, removing hooks, applying or removing split shot, etc; and a pair of cutter jaws for cutting all the things you mentioned including metal leader material. After trying lots of different tools, I carry a pair of these pliers made by Sport Tool (http://www.sportstoolsusa.com/pliers2.html). They're light weight, hold their edge relatively long, are corrosion resistant, spring loaded jaws, and come with a handy holster that works. Granted, they do shred braided string when making braided loops. But for most shallow salt water fly fishing needs these cover the bases well and cost under $30. I'm not trying to market the Sport Tool, just giving you an example of what works well and why and possibly a competitor comparison.

Good luck with your new design, I'm anxious to see it.

Question Nippers....???

Interesting project but I'm wondering what the need is.... I've used the Leatherman multi-tools and various cheap nippers with equal satisfaction in a bunch of different places/situations. Bill's pricing info is along the lines my comments will take. Make them small, easy to use and cheap.

Since I'm developing arthritis in the joints in my hand, maybe that's a benefit but, beyond that, I'm not sure why I or a fly fisherman in particular would need what looks to be an expensive tool to cut braid, limp or not and I'm not sure a nipper produced from the materials you describe and the bare description of your design is going to be economical in price or solve my arthritis problems. Brute force isn't required for me to be able cut any lines using my current tools. It's so easy to just add some tension and then cut the braid with my nippers or Leatherman, Juice. Your description of the tool makes it sound like it will be similar in price to that of Abel brand nippers.

At any rate, if you can make them for under $5.00 apiece, I'll probably try them out. Otherwise, I'll continue to use nippers or the Leatherman, Juice and replace 'em when they either wear out or I drop them overboard. At low price per unit, I can do that a number times before I come close to the price of Abel nippers (for example).
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I've been using a nipper called "The Snip". So far they haven't failed and still sharp. It even cuts braided lines. My back up is a pair of finger nail clippers purchased from Walgreens at 75 cents. I do have a pair of Abel's and a pair of Shimano's

Jay

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Heh heh, good one Jay. I didn't want to distract the thread but I use the old 75 cent fingernail clippers too. They don't last long in the salt water but at 75 cents I can buy a ton of them and they're available everywhere. Plus when I get a new pair they're sharp for awhile. They work just fine for trimming off the flared tag ends after nail knotting a braided loop to a fly line.