Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Pair of Nippers?

Default The Ultimate Pair of Nippers?

This is my first post, and I hope this an appropriate subject. So here goes...
    I have worked designing equipment for fly fishing centric companies for a fair amount of time. For reference check out the recent Scientific Anglers Series 4 reel on their website. I did the complete design and quite a bit of the mechanical engineering on this reel...not polishing my brass,but just giving everyone a reference point.

Recently I was given the opportunity to work with some fairly new metal based rapid prototyping technology that can actually produce parts in metal alloys that function very closely to a conventionally manufactured part.
    Looking around for something to design and thought, hey I have probably six or seven nippers of all types and cost....and I really don't have a favorite...and none of them cut braided backing with a darn, let alone some of the braided lines I use when I'm fishing with conventional spinning and casting gear.

So I figured this would be the best opportunity to ask the question...what would be the ultimate nipper and it's working features? Getting this feedback, I would design the nipper and show how it is prototyped in the USA using the new metal laser sintering technology.

In complete transparency, this is personal project and not one that I have been commissioned to execute for a third party company. I just have the chance to test a new technology that was brought to my attention for free...and what the heck why not design something that is interesting to me instead of a boring part.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

I gave away my last pair of nippers a few months ago, after not using them for a long time -- they cluttered my vest. How about a stellar pair of tidy hemostats that do the 3 things I need in CA: pinch barbs, scissor tippet and other line, and crimp and pry open SSGs? I'd pay good money for a set of hemostats that did this 2x or more as well as the pair I carry now. Oh, and they can be low-profile in some clever way to stop from snagging my spey line.

Just dreaming...

Roywest has it right. That's what I was thinking. Right now I have a small leatherman for adding and deleting weight, a pair of flat pliers for pinching barbs, a hemostat for removing hooks and a pair of dull nippers. A super tricked out pair of titanium pliers in a few different sizes with super sharp jaws that can be replaced made out stainless steel and a flat section would replace all four. A low end version could be made out of aluminum.

Exactly!! I just had this conservation earlier today. Forget the nippers! A good pair of plier/hemostats. I am using fish ponds as of now but I could see some upgrades. First off the point should come down to more of a point rather than a square end, this will help with removing smaller hooks if you still fish a barb! Add a replaceable hook file, a replaceable nipper jaws,and a better edge for crimping barbs. You could even add a flip out blade for fish cleaning if you like to keep your catch?

Make it like the finest Japanese culinary knives!
    Rockwell 61-62
    Chisel ground edge, no more than 25 degrees, 20 would be better
    A highly polished edge, like you get with a 1200x Japanese waterstone
    That should cut mono and fluoro with a minimum amount of pressure
    I'd LOVE that sort of quality cutting edge in a nipper

You asked for ideal, that's it IMO.

Orvis has a nice foreps/cutter/crimper for $19.95

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=80kh

Abel Nippers are pretty nice @ $50.00

http://www.fishwest.net/flyfishing/p...l#.Uu5B0LtdWgY

Anglers Image line clippers are the top seller at our shop @ $12.95

http://www.bobmarriottsflyfishingsto...e-line-clipper

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've been using the dr. Slick scissor clamps for years and honestly don't carry a nipper anymore.
    I think the problem you will quickly find using a sintering station is it will not be cost effective for production.
    They are great for prototyping parts though!
    -Paul

I don't think theres anything that will cut limp braid. That is how they designed braid. Pull some tension on it and any sharp cutter will do the job.

Angler's Image already makes the perfect nippers (the one without the retractable pin), so the point is moot. What I'd like is a pair that never dulls...EVER...

Can't agree with the "no nipper" school because I can cut line infinitely faster with a pair of nippers than I can open a pair of hemostats or the like, but everyone has a preference.
    Last edited by JD; 02-03-2014 at 02:30 PM.
    -JD

Default Ultimate nippers

Aloha, my ultimate nippers are my teeth, just don't tell my wife.
    Don Memmer