Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out Dan Blanton's message board.

Default Check out Dan Blanton's message board.

http://www.danblanton.com/bulletin.php

I am sure most of you already go there daily but for the new comers this is another great fly fishing forum.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mike O Guest

Waaaaay too cliquish over there, and really clunky format.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O View Post
    Waaaaay too cliquish over there, and really clunky format.
    Boy, I don't agree. It is the single best flyfishing resource forum on the net. you get some big names over there too. An example is the thread here asking about clouser hooks. Asked on Blantons and theres a decent chance that Bob himself would chime in. Not to mention guys like Jonny King and Bob Popovics. Where else do you access to this kind of talent

Theres great product reviews too.

I don't think Ive asked a single question there over the last 10 years and not gotten a great, credible response. So I don't think its cliquish at all. you wanna see cliquish, try the Wisconsin flyfishing forum
    I do wish he would update the forum format. I would like to see threads pop back to the top if it gets a new response. but it does work the way it is.

Kudos to Dan. I think its a great forum!

Looks interesting, but I have to agree on that format being very distracting. I really prefer the format here personally. Thanks for sharing Bill
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Thank you for the heads up about that forum. While I don't go there often, I have found great information there randomly while searching the web for beta about one thing or another. However, the format is beyond AWFUL! So awful, that I wouldn't use it regularly. There is ZERO organization. I don't have time to read through every single post. IF they ever get it together with a user friendly format, would really appreciate the heads up from anyone on this forum.

Thanks Bill.

I have and will check in out, definitely prefer the format on this forum but as above anywhere to access quality info and people is great for me.

Got to say that since discovering this site I've been amazed at how much I'm on it and how useful it's been.

Clunky format- yes! Bitch to post pics- yes! Cliqueish- NO! As jbird said, Blanton probably has the more informative, educational format on the internet. I have been able to communicate with some of the top names in fly fishing, from all over the world, including Jonny King, BobPop, Harro, Henry Cowen, and Lefty himself. I have learned a lot, and when I ask a question I know I will get an answer from someone who knows what they are talking about. I have helped a lot of folks there with info about Alaska or Belize. many in turn have helped me or even sent me flies, materials or whatever, just because I asked a question. GES even sent me 2 Penn downriggers he was not using. Amazing! Are there a few assholes there- yes, but Dan runs a pretty tight ship and I don't have to read their posts if I don't want to.

Here's a crazy example of how useful Dan's board is--4 or 5 years ago I bought a Felty 911, RH retrieve. It's a great SW reel, was made in South Africa, and very popular in Australia. I needed to convert it to LH retrieve.. I post on Blanton, get a quick response from Justin Duggan, an Aussie guide, with an email address to check. Within a day Mike Felty sends me an exploded parts list and instructions to convert it over.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

Dan's site is more international than we are and has more salt water/big game info.

There was a small private industry email survey a few years ago about what sites some fly fishers go to daily for info.

Our site and Dan's were the top pics with no particular third place, just a large list of other interesting fly fishing sites.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ok, I'll stick with it a while, just to see what comes up, but holy smokes, that software is ancient.