Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Master Fly Competition

They hold a fly tying contest just like this at the Tackle Dealer show. They give you a bag of goodies and one mystery item that has to be used. They give you 10 minutes to come up with some kinda fly/idea. It's a lot of fun to watch 10 tyers dig into the bag and come up with a good looking fly in 10.
    Dang, maybe I should dig into my boxes and drawers and see what I can come up. I have a ton of "stuff".

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fly Fisher View Post
    They hold a fly tying contest just like this at the Tackle Dealer show. They give you a bag of goodies and one mystery item that has to be used. They give you 10 minutes to come up with some kinda fly/idea. It's a lot of fun to watch 10 tyers dig into the bag and come up with a good looking fly in 10.
    That sounds ideal !

D.~

Mike O Guest

if this was like Chopped:

tiers would have to follow the hatch...

First tie would be Nymph
    Second tie should be Emerger
    Third fly Dry

This is a event held each year at iftd. Every one gets a bag of the same stuff and and then a secret ingredient is added like half way into your fly. It was truly a blast to be in with a ton of great tiers were there from all over the world. The judges really didn't care if you were a salt tier a dry fly guru etc. It was more just based on the fly you made and the execution of it. There was a group in Idaho running with the same idea for a while as well. I have also heard rumor of it happening in southern cali from some guys I know down there. Mr fox will do a great job with it I have faith that he knows how this all goes having been yo enough iftd shows.

Sorry Jay missed your post we competed last year against each other.