Thread: choice a rod

Default choice a rod

Hi guys, I often fish on some trout lakes in Mid-Europe, where is boating prohibited. I am making decision about some light trout spey rod. Favorites is Method 6126 or Winston BIII TH 6126. What can you recommend me? The Winston tempts me for the lowest weight.I have Vision CULT 6126, itīs a bit on the heavy side. Thanks maik

I just got a Method 6126 a couple of weeks ago and I love it. The Winston might be the lightest but I will never get another Winston after them took 8 months to repair a BIIX switch rod.

I have a 6119 method it's awesome. I'm using rios new switch chucker line. It's a switch line designed for spey casting. Very light and casts a half chicken a mile.

not sure your target species size but I would think a 6 wt spey or switch to be way over-gunning for trout - there are many lighter rods on the market now - might check out Gary Anderson's web page as a starter.

I know that Ed Ward and Jerry French are working on developing actual single hand micro speys and developing lines to match them

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    I know that Ed Ward and Jerry French are working on developing actual single hand micro speys and developing lines to match them
    I had Darrell make up one of those micro skagit rods for me (9' 5/6 single hand blank), with the Rio shorts going down to 200gr these rods can now be lined more easily. I butchered up an old short that ended up being about 17' and 260gr. I was throwing 8' of T8 on it but it could do more. Got to fish it a couple times on the Yuba and its a blast. Have to use a slightly faster stroke than a longer rod but I got used it. I have spots that this will be perfect for come spring for some steelie sized trout.

Still waiting for the skagit dudes to come out with the new lines so I'm holding off on buying one of the newer rio shorts for now.