Thread: Best all around line for an 8 weight setup for sstripers and some steelhead

Default Best all around line for an 8 weight setup for sstripers and some steelhead

I just picked a decent 8 weight single handed setup to use primarily for stripers and maybe steelhead from time to time, wondering if anyone has any input on one line to start out with that can cover a lot of bases. For the stripers I will be primarily fishing subsurface, I'll leave the topwater to my conventional arsenal. The Rio versitip setup jumps out at me, but am also thinking about just getting a rio coldwater WF8F line and adding various sink tips as I find out what I need. Been reading a bit and see some mention overlining the rod by 1 size, any benefit to this?
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Fish Guru; 01-27-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Can't help with steelhead lines, but last year I switched my striper sinking lines to the Airflow Sniper (#8 & #9). Sinks as fast as the others and the urethane running line has less stretch, seems to get less tangles and is also a little slicker. I used these lines with success in Baja and Brazil also.

While I may sound like someone trying to sell you tackle (I'm not, really!), in my opinion there is no single line that will cover both situations. A shooting head rig is about as close as you can get (the Versitip is one of those mediocre-at-all-things solutions), and with a floating running line you'd have a fighting chance across the board I guess. I'd personally get a shooting head rig with a couple of fast sink heads for stripers and a salmon/steelhead line for steelhead, and you have most of the bases covered for this area. YMMV.
    -JD

Benny, I would just get some cheap running line and get some custom cut T heads or lead core for a Striper line which the guys at the shop can make up for you. Talk to Andy ,he is the American Striper guru ! Then spend your money on a good steelhead line, it is hard to get one all around line. Question is , for steelhead will you be swinging or bob-a-cating? This will play a part on what line to choose.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Mark, i am planning on swinging by the shop here shortly, it's right around the corner from my work so probably gonna hit it up at lunch later this week. A cheap running line with custom heads sounds like the best route, not sure if iI'm even gonna get to use it on the river this year with the current water situation though. Some of the places that i hammer the fish on plugs/soft plastics seem like perfect places to hammer them on flies as well, I figure this will be fun to broaden my tactics to get em.
    If I do end up using this setup for steelhead, it will strictly be a swinging scenario as i don't really have any interest in indicator fishing for them. If they hit a swung fly like they hit a spoon or spinner then I am all for it.