Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sea Habits New Look

Thumbs up Sea Habits N' Flash....

After fishing with Efren and listening to Jay, I came to the conclusion that adding too much flash to Sea Habits (and other salty patterns) doesn't provide as good a result than when I blend a few fibers of flash into the wing materials. Altho, I have to admit that Charlie's Airhead fly is a bit more flashy than I would've tied myself but it works great on Roosterzzzz!!!

Last year, I started tying some of jay's wig hair patterns and am now a real fan of that fly. I do blend a tiny bit of flash, usually a single strand of pearl FireFly bent over on itself, into the wing. Deadly fly in tan or olive over white. The wig hair fly is very versatile as you can easily shape the fly to make a broad/narrow or round/long body. I haven't tried to weight a this fly yet but I haven't had a chance to try as fish keep interrupting my attention.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I don't think any weight is required for roosters et. al, but I do put some lead wraps on the sea habits and fish them for tarpon. I have caught a lot of tarpon on that fly in various colors, but especially chart, pink, and dark brown. There was a post last fall on Blanton's board basically several folks were commenting on all of these style of flies and the most popular colors being tan and olive. Carl Blackledge commented he liked a a rusty brown, which is very similar to the "tan" wig hair fly Jay shows on his website. That color is kind of what a sardina's back (or at least some of it) looks like in the sun. I had wonderful intentions of posting some fly pics tonight but you will have to wait since I had to replace a zone valve on the heating system when I got home.

Default Weight....

Hi Phil,.... Yep!! I wasn't very clear about where I was planning on using it. I'm thinking of adding some weight for fishing deep for Tuna, Wahoo, etc., on a T-14 or more shooting head. Seems like it might be good in Black/white with some red in the gill area and tail to imitate a wounded Sardina. Just playing with it now.

Looking foward to the photo's of your flies....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown