Thread: Kauai fly fishing

Default Kauai fly fishing

I am headed for Kauai in late February for some surfing and leisure. I would like to meander the shoreline for bonefish/other species. Also, I heard that peacock bass found in one or more lakes. I will also try an offshore half day trip.
    Any info would be appreciated. I'll be taking two rods (7 & 10).

John

anini beach is your friend...

Try to pm Don Memmer a forum member that goes by the name mems. He lives on the big island and knows the islands.

I'll check it out.

Thanks,
    John

Thanks Mark. Don is an excellent saltwater info source. Helped me with preparations for my Christmas Island trip.

Much appreciated,
    John

Default Kauai

Aloha John, sorry I didn't respond I was offshore today. Got one mahi and an aku, skip jack tuna. Kauai, try Rob Aritta for a guide. He likes to fish Anini beach, but it can be tough with the big surf now. You can get trevally at almost any beach on Kauai. I really like polihale, but it is also exposed to the surf. Peacocks are in the ponds, there are some guides there who can put you on peacocks and largemouth. There are trout up at kokee, but it is not season. That being said the trout are still in the streams, just get a fresh water license and say you are going for smallmouth. Offshore should be fun, I don't know what captain you have lined up, but there are mahi and small ahi around now on the big island. Good luck, let me know if you nedd more specifics. Kauai is very beautiful and the beaches are fantastic. It would be too rough now, but you might get a window to do the napalii coast, either in a zodiac or by boat. Kayaking would be kinda nuts now. Have fun, Don.
    Don Memmer

Hey Don,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a contact link for Rob Aritta? Seems like a good person to start with.

John

Default Kauai

Google boenfish kauai, his name should come up. I have his contact info, just not at school with me now.
    Don Memmer

Went out with Rob Arita yesterday morning. What a nice guy. He must be a great guide, because I'd never done this before, but I caught a bonefish in my first hour. Whee! The tides and weather weren't ideal, but I got another half-dozen or so chances at trevally and bonefish (but I was too the beginner to hook into another).

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........