Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: General Questions and Info

Default General Questions and Info

Good Morning All,
    I am brand new to this forum and wanted to put out a few questions to anyone who wants answer. I was introduced to fly fishing approx. 30 years ago as a teen. No after kids are gone and I have the time I am getting back into the sport. I have updated some of my gear, I now have a 6wt. TFO rod paired with an Orvis mid-Arbor Access and I am looking to add a 4wt and a 8wt or even a 10wt as well at some later date.

I live a little south Sac and I am looking fwd to doing any fly fishing right now. The high country is a little cold (and frozen), so what are the great places here close for some fishing? Prefer trout fishing, BUT would really do any kind of fishing now.

And last but not least, I have a Regal vise right now, but Im looking to get another. Should I go with the PEAK or the Griffin? Any and all comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks

Default General Info....

First, welcome aboard. Lots of good info on this BB. I'm going to start in a general way. Others will undoubtedly provide more detailed info.

The area you live in has access to a lot of fishing, the Delta, valley rivers (Mokelumne nearest) and valley, foothill reservoirs and ponds. There're some foothill streams that're open year round for Trout. The lower Mokelumne (below Camanche) has some Steelhead, The American has Salmon, Shad, Steelhead and Stripers. The Delta has almost everything in it at one time or another. Altho, it's most easily fished from a boat. Several guides in the area fish the Delta and that's a good choice if you don't have a boat. There're other opportunities on the west side of the valley. Most of the high country is closed to fishing by regulation or ice. So, you'll have to wait a while for that.

If you're a AAA member, you can get fairly detailed maps of the area (all free) to check out opportunities/distances. Also, don't forget to check out the Reports Section in the bar at the top of this page.

Enjoy the exploration and good luck.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum2 View Post
    Good Morning All,
    I am brand new to this forum and wanted to put out a few questions to anyone who wants answer. I was introduced to fly fishing approx. 30 years ago as a teen. No after kids are gone and I have the time I am getting back into the sport. I have updated some of my gear, I now have a 6wt. TFO rod paired with an Orvis mid-Arbor Access and I am looking to add a 4wt and a 8wt or even a 10wt as well at some later date.

I live a little south Sac and I am looking fwd to doing any fly fishing right now. The high country is a little cold (and frozen), so what are the great places here close for some fishing? Prefer trout fishing, BUT would really do any kind of fishing now.

And last but not least, I have a Regal vise right now, but Im looking to get another. Should I go with the PEAK or the Griffin? Any and all comments or suggestions would be great. Thanks
    a) fishing right now - as close to the hatcheries as possible (American and Mokelumne). Or wait till this weekend if there is some rain and go to the north coast for steelhead. Everybody else will be there.

b) rods - 4/8/10. Get some more TFO's; pro series is good enough.

c) vise - the Regal vises are OK for big flies (provided you hang onto the shank while doing tight wraps, the hooks sometimes slip); not great for small flies. You could get another vise for small flies or the small jaws for a Regal. This is definitely something you should check out at flyshops before buying, as some people prefer pedastals (the heavier the better), others clamp bases (light, but sturdy), and various features, depending on what it is you tie mostly. Go to Sacramento and try out several at a fly shop (not sportsman's warehouse or buying blind online) - most shops have at least 1/2 dozen options.

@ amoeba.....TYVM for all the info. I really like the TFO rods and esp the pro series. I was only thinking of adding a 4wt and an 8wt, Im glad you think I need the 10wt as well. I started with an Orvis Mid-Arbor Access as I said, but kind of torn between staying w Orvis or switching to Lamson. I will have to check those out when I look at vises. Thanks again

Or wait till this weekend if there is some rain and go to the north coast for steelhead. Everybody else will be there.

If we don't get one heck of a lot more rain than we're getting right now they will not open the streams to fishing. So far only misty. Even if we got 2" of rain, highly unlikely, I don't think it would raise the rivers a significant amount, nor enough to get F&G to open the streams. Call, 707-9445533 for Marin Co, Sonoma Co and Mendocino Co. Russian River is open to fishing, bring your own rock. Call 707-8223164 for everything north of Mendocino Co.

Default emergency steelhead closure til 4/30 - includes lower American and Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    Or wait till this weekend if there is some rain and go to the north coast for steelhead. Everybody else will be there.

If we don't get one heck of a lot more rain than we're getting right now they will not open the streams to fishing. So far only misty. Even if we got 2" of rain, highly unlikely, I don't think it would raise the rivers a significant amount, nor enough to get F&G to open the streams. Call, 707-9445533 for Marin Co, Sonoma Co and Mendocino Co. Russian River is open to fishing, bring your own rock. Call 707-8223164 for everything north of Mendocino Co.
    Not anymore (http://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2014/0...me-commission/)

Not true yet. The Russian is still open but DFG may close it next next. If you read what you posted, you will see that the Russian was part of a proposal to close it. I would like to see that happen, a lot!

Check out Rancho Seco.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    Not true yet. The Russian is still open but DFG may close it next next. If you read what you posted, you will see that the Russian was part of a proposal to close it. I would like to see that happen, a lot!
    Goes to the commission this thursday (2/5/14)...expect action on this one (closed for season)...no matter what, you won't catch me hassling steelhead in such low water....should never have opened to begin with.

Default Expect more than closures

Quote Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
    Goes to the commission this thursday (2/5/14)...expect action on this one (closed for season)...no matter what, you won't catch me hassling steelhead in such low water....should never have opened to begin with.
    Hi there - wonder what the Commission will do tomorrow - perhaps they'll see its cloudy and wet outside and think the drought has ended. In all likelihood - we'll see these closures and, beyond that a bit later this month,further flow reductions.

There just isn't enough water.