Thread: another rod/line question

Default another rod/line question

Hi,
    When lining a rod with a Skagit setup, is the recommended grain weight window of the rod for the head plus the tips, or just the head? Some of the heavy sink tips can be a couple hundred grains, correct?
    Thanks

It's just the head weight. I would suggest trying some different grain weight heads before you buy because the recommended grain weights may not fit your preference. The shop has a head loaner program.

Here is a discussion we had on the forum here a while back about heads and tips. I had an idea I tried to seems to work pretty good for me now.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...light-question
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

As others have said you typically do not count the tip though there are some variations. If you want to use a Skagit system as a floating line system then I would generally count the tip and try to match the overall grain line weight so head plus tip is approximately equal to the head you are using when throwing tips.

However I am not sure I would grossly exceed the grain window if given for your rod when adding in tip weight

the tip is counted if you are using an air borne cast and not counted if it is an anchor cast or touch an cast.