Thread: Tippet Knot Question

Default Tippet Knot Question

This past weekend I was broken off twice. Both times my tippet broke at the connection between my sinking tip and tippet. Specifically, the loop knot I made to connect to the sinking tip broke right at the knot after I set the hook and the water erupted 45 yards downstream. All I could do was sidestep my line as it shot back in my direction...

So, I'm wondering what knot and weight tippet others use for the loop to loop connection between sinking tip and tippet, especially for winter SH. Day 1 broke a 8 lb maxima, perfection loop. Day 2 broke 10 lb maxima, perfection loop. I think it was me using the perfection loop. I'm now using the salt water/Kreh loop knot for all winter SH fishing. But I could be wrong. Any recommendations? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

jcanger

70% knot strength for a perfection loop knot. That's not to great, especially with 8 lb. test. I use a Rapala loop not for all my leader knots and fly connection, this knot has never failed me! 10 lb. -12lb. maxima should be sufficient if you are swinging for steel on the American river or any valley river, further north Oregon and Washington 12-15 lb. That's my thought ?

You could use a surgeon loop which is stronger.

In mono over 20# I use a perfection loop with a surgeons loop on the lighter tippet.

For mono under 20# I use a surgeons loop.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

For light tippet I generally double the tippet and then double surgeons. Doubling helps seat tippet loop to tip loop
    Last edited by Rick J; 01-22-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    For light tippet I generally double the tippet and tie double surgeons. Doubling helps seat tippet loop to tip loop
    Funny enough I was describing this to a Fishwest customer today and did a quick vid for him to visualize it, this might be of some help.
    https://vimeo.com/84722222

Dbl surgeon loop to sink tip. Nonslip mono to fly. 8# maxima in slow current, 10# in current. 15# salmon or heavy current.

Don't try to stop a steelhead running in a strong current. I have snapped off 10# maxima.

These knots have worked with 50 inch salmon . My thoughts. How u fight makes a huge difference.

Nice!! Thanks so much for the insight and comments guys. And the video Aaron!! Double surgeons it is Glad I reached out.

jcanger