Thread: Trinity Steelhead - Any good winter camping options

Default Trinity Steelhead - Any good winter camping options

Poking around to see if anyone has been steelheading recently on the Trinity and if they know of any good tent campling sites near the river for winter camping. Thanks.

I havent fished it since November but have spent plenty of time camping up there over the years. Pidgeon Pt is right on the river with great water to fish. Steiner Flat Primitive CG is a free BLM cg on Steiner Flat Rd. Good water around camp. Steel Bridge CG on Steel Bridge Rd is ok. Cold and shaded with some decent water to fish.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Thanks Jay, I had heard of steel bridge but was unaware of Pidgeon pt, maybe I'll check it out. Is it open all winter?

Quote Originally Posted by jayclarkflyfishing View Post
    I havent fished it since November but have spent plenty of time camping up there over the years. Pidgeon Pt is right on the river with great water to fish. Steiner Flat Primitive CG is a free BLM cg on Steiner Flat Rd. Good water around camp. Steel Bridge CG on Steel Bridge Rd is ok. Cold and shaded with some decent water to fish.

Jay

Yeah pigeon point is open all winter

pigeon point has water that holds fish, good camping spots with fire pit and BATHROOMS.....I think 8$ a night

........I forgot to mention last time I camped there it was below freezing and there was not an empty rock by 8 AM...maybe 9-10 guys fishing the campground stretch.

I have no problem breaking ice from the guides and will be on the water by day break - thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by donkeyhunter007 View Post
    ........I forgot to mention last time I camped there it was below freezing and there was not an empty rock by 8 AM...maybe 9-10 guys fishing the campground stretch.

I fished the Trinity on Wednesday and it was slow. There are fish around but they are scattered. On the upside in wasn't very cold considering it being the middle of January

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    I fished the Trinity on Wednesday and it was slow. There are fish around but they are scattered. On the upside in wasn't very cold considering it being the middle of January
    I friend of mine when on a drift boat yesterday and caught 2 fish. It's been a really slow year.

Junction City campground is still open too.