Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary trip to Trinidad CA – Any Fishing Recommendations ?

Default Anniversary trip to Trinidad CA – Any Fishing Recommendations ?

Hi folks, My wife and I are celebrating our 36th anniversary at the end of this month. To celebrate we are making a trip to Trinidad on the North Coast to spend a few days taking in the north coastal beauty, exploring with lots of photography planned by my wife. Does anybody have any experience fishing in that area? I have heard Big Lagoon has cutthroat trout and that there is some fishing off of Trinidad Pier. This is certainly not a “fishing trip” but I thought it would be fun to explore this activity a little as part of our time up here. If anybody has any experience or recommendations to try up there I would love to hear from you. Thanks and happy New Year! Bill

PS, got my first steelhead of the year under my belt. Nothing big but a pretty half pounder on the American caught just before they started lowering the flows.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	American River steelhead only 152014.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	8309  
    Bill Ward, ie, Bluegrass Bill, Sacramento, CA
    Guitar Player for Western Lights Band
    Bluegrass and Beyond!
    http://westernlightsband.com/

Check with the Eureka Fly Shop......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Stop and have breakfast at the cafe on the pier. The smoked ham is very good.

The Trinidad Cafe has yummy blackberry cobbler.
    I've fished Big Lagoon and had luck with wooly buggers on the sand spit.
    Don't know the details of the regs but the Mad River can be decent.
    Klopp Lake in Arcata also has Cutties in a suburban type setting.

Thanks Guys, all great recommendations, both the fishing and non fishing variety. We both love small town eatery venues with their unique breakfasts or special dishes like that blackberry cobbler <g>. John, I have a couple questioins I will ask you by pm if you don't mind. Beides the fishing any other ideas on sights to see or special places to eat are most appreciated as well. Thanks again!
    Bluegrass and Beyond!

Bill,

You could drive up the coast (40min) and fish the Blake's Riffle area of the Klamath for a few hours. Lots of good swinging water up there. Probably your best bet. Wading will be easy, and it's wide open gravel bar fishing.

Big Lagoon fishes better in March/April, but it's worth a shot. Not sure if the spit has been breached, but there's usually fish in there. Steelhead and cutties. Intermediate line with Crystal Buggers. Float tube is best.

They do plant trout (cutties) in Freshwater Lagoon. Float tube needed.

I would avoid the Mad at all costs. It's not a pretty sight....

Redwood Creek probably won't be open, unless it rains. But go up and walk through the Lady Bird Johnson Grove. Or go to Fern Canyon. Very cool places for photos.

Have a great time!

~J

Bluegrass Bill -

The cafe at the foot of the Trinidad pier is "The Seascape" and offers good food. There is a trail that goes around Trinidad Head that offers great views.

"Cafe Marina" on Woodley Island in Eureka is good too. If the weather cooperates, get a table on the patio for a nice view of the small boat harbor and the city.

I haven't been there in a few years but "Samoa Cookhouse" in Samoa across the bay from Eureka would be worth checking out. You can browse their small logging museum before or after dinner.

I have had good success on Freshwater Lagoon casting purple or black cone head wooly buggers for holdover hatchery trout. A float tube or pontoon boat is needed. I usually fish the south end where Hwy 101 flattens out on the spit.

Bill,
    Google the "times standard" newspaper from Eureka. Kenny Priest does a great
    job with his North Coast fishing report; usually updated weekly.
    Congrats and
    Best,
    Larry S

Wow, thanks again everybody for all the great info and recommendations! Dana and I will certainly have a grand time sight seeing, taking pictures, eating at unique venues and probably doing a little fishing
    Bluegrass and Beyond!

I'll second the Samoa Cookhouse if you head home on Hwy.101 south. If you skip breakfast and just go in around lunch time you won't need to eat for the next three days. It's all family style home cooking with everything made right there. Usually two choices on the blackboard as you come in and that's all you have to say, everything else just comes and keeps coming, and if you run out they'll ask you if you'd like more. And hot home made bread and jam at the table makes you forget about dessert, but if they have pie and you can't decide what kind you want they'll bring both. You won't walk out wanting for anything else.

Can you tell I love this place? Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180