Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Lake

I have been fishing the lake twice a week for about 6 weeks now. I have yet to see one fish killed or even taken to be weighed. I have witnessed several personal best landed only to watch the guys let them go. Maybe it's the crowd I'm fishing with or the area, who knows. I've seen so many big fish jumping and swimming by, it's starting to drive me crazy I can't crack the double digit mark. My fishing buddy and I have both lost some big fish in the last week.

Default Pyramid Fishery....

Westwillie,.... In all the years I've been fishing up there (many now), I've never seen anyone catch and take a fish up to Crosby's and then take it back down for release. That's not to say it doesn't happen. I've never fished up there during the annual tournament. So, maybe that's when fish are "abused". Have you said anything about it to the tribal authorities???
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Big fish are taken up to the lodge all the time. They claim most of them are returned, but you have to wonder how many of those survive. I was up @ Spyder Point a few weeks ago and a guy shows up with a dead 14# he took somewhere on the south beaches. Kind of sad seeing that big fish dead. That being said, it was legal, just not my style. I like Crosby Lodge a lot, but they might want to reconsider rewarding (pins, picture, free drink, etc) people for bringing 10#+ fish up to the lodge...just my opinion.

Have you said anything about it to the tribal authorities??? Darian, I and several others have contacted the Tribes fishery biologist and others with our concerns. I encourage others to do as well. It is encouraging to see so many doing quality releases of good sized fish, it is just hard to turn a blind eye to some of the bs that does go on out there. One suggestion has been to put pressure on Crosbys to raise the size of their "pin" program to at least 15#. Many of us have caught 2 or 3 fish over 10# in one day this fall!!!

A couple things to remember...these fish are hatchery fish(there is no natural reproduction in Pyramid) and the people that take fish to Crosby's are not breaking any tribal regulation. The Tribe is very aware of the situation and Crosby's is now tagging fish(pink floy tag) that are being released, so I have been told. We will see if any of these fish are recaptured. Maybe we should all start fishing the Marina where these fish are being released

Back to the vice
    Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

the best article I have seen about releasing a fish with the least harm…….please, everyone, take a moment to read. You will learn a lot.

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/f...p-and-kill.htm

Very good article Willie, thanks for sharing. The key to holding a large fish is to "cradle" the animal with "soft" hands. Do not squeeze! "Time out of the water" is also very important. About 5 years ago I wrote these two letters and shared them with anglers at
    Pyramid:
    ATTENTION PYRAMID LK. ANGLERS

“COOLERS TO TRANSPORT FISH”
    The method of using “coolers” to transport fish can be dangerous to the health and life of the fish. A better and safer way to transport fish is with the use of an “aerator”. Oxygen depletion can and does occur rapidly. Without this oxygen the fish can suffocate. Aerators are very inexpensive and can be purchased at any aquarium or pet store. They are battery operated and portable. It is the responsibility of the angler to return the animal back to the water ALIVE !

ATTENTION PYRAMID LK. ANGLERS
    "BOGA GRIPS"
    The use of a “BOGA GRIP” directly on a fish’s jaw can cause permanent damage and can lead to the death of the animal. A “BOGA GRIP” puts TREMENDOUS pressure on the spinal cord and can easily rupture the gill plates of the fish, again leading to severe injury. A better technique is to weigh the fish in a net, then subtract the weight of the net to establish the measurement. By using this method, you will substantially reduce the mortality rate of the fish.
    PLEASE PASS ON THIS INFORMATION
    THANK YOU

Most fly fishers seem to release their fish, especially now that we have such good digital camera phones.

I guess the native Americans that run the fisheries must have the final say on this?

Would be nice to seem them have a maximum size of so many inches (36"?)(so the big ones could be released) and only one fish per day?

Over the decades that we fished it back in the 1970s and 1980s I remember that Joe Shirshac took only one 7 pounder home to eat. It was very good and I guess it is to do with the PH in the lake?

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've heard from 3 people now that the fish now have worms. I used to eat the fish at least once a week 20 years ago up until about 10 years ago and never saw a worm. I know doesn't really matter as they cook off if the fish are eaten. Just kind of sad.

I must admit I hate being wrong, but a good friend showed me in the regulation booklet (Sec 22.1) that transporting live fish is against tribal regulation. So it seems that the people who put their fish in coolers and take them to Crosby's and then release them are doing something illegal. I stand corrected.

Got skunked today after having a couple of decent days last week. Back at it on Wed
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"