Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The first Time I picked up a fly fishing Rod...

Default The first Time I picked up a fly fishing Rod...

The first Time I picked up a fly fishing Rod... was last May. By that August I had my first Fly rod and had decided that I was in love with the sport.

How about the rest of you? How long have you been fly fishing??

I had two older brothers I'd follow all around and thanks to them I've been fishing as long as I can remember. I got into fly fishing during trips to the east side Sierras as a kid. My dad went to college at Deep Springs near Bishop. He became a teacher and during summer break every year we would do a trip up and see the alumni. On the way down the east side I fished with a fly rod for the first time on the West Walker across from the military base. I think I was about 10 or 11 and it was around 1989/1990. Later that day I fished the East Walker for the first time and made my first visit to Kens Sporting Goods. Nowadays, I cant go down there without stopping by and reminiscing.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 01-03-2014 at 12:47 PM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Honestly, I only used a spinning rod for one year when I was seven.

So I guess it's been just about 30 seasons for me?

One thing I've learned is that there are fishy people and non-fishy people. Has to do almost as a "zen" or spiritual thing. You can walk through the motions, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to be adequate/good at catching fish.

I know "fly fishing" casting instructors who can't catch a fish to save their life. Likewise I know people who fish ALL THE TIME and never seem to hook up.

Then there are those "fishy" people that go out a couple times a year and seem to hook up constantly--or catch the most and or biggest fish of the group they're with.

Jim Christenson from the shop is one example of a "fishy" dude.

Giving away my age. I first tried fly fishing at Boy Scout camp (Wolfeboro) in 1953. Loved it. Caught a couple of 5"ers on a Royal Coachman. Been a fly fisher ever since.

Happy New Year,
    Harlan

I came into fly fishing kind of backwards.
    My Dad was really active in the 60-70s Sac fly fishing scene, but he moved back east to work in the gov't. I have been fishing for as long as I can remember, chucking hardware and dunking bait in the Chesapeake. I took an interest in his fly tying at age 8 or so, and began tying rudimentary things that were attempts at flies. I don't think I fly fished until age 12 or so. I did fish some "flies" prior to that, most of which were dressed up tails for Mepps spinners and Tony Acetta spoons. Been fly fishing ever since; now I'm 40.

42 years. Grew up fishing the West Branch and North Fork Feather Rivers and many creeks in the area. Dad was a strict teacher but he made it fun. Years really do not mean anything, it's all about how many days you get in through those years. I've been lucky to have a lifestyle that allows me to put in a hundred days or more a year - Though I watch other anglers more than I get to cast myself these days.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I guess I was eight or nine years old when I got my first fly rod, many years ago. I look back now, 53 yrs later, and many, many fly rods later...smile...and wish I could go back to that first day.

Pete
    FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

I dunked bait and used lures for a long time, but I remember camping out at a lake north of Truckee when I was in my late twenties and one evening there were trout rising all over the place and I couldn't get a hook-up if my life depended on it. A guy came along with a fly rod and caught five keepers in less than ten minutes so he could give his family fresh trout for dinner. That's what hooked me. I bought a crappy fly rod kit and dabbled for a few years, but never really learned to cast, learn my fly patterns, set the hook, etc. so I never became proficient. I had a colleague at work who taught me a few things and I recall fishing dries one summer day in the Truckee River and somehow I managed to catch a few small trout on the surface. I was having such a blast, I gave up my spinning rod and now I fly fish exclusively, I guess it's been 15 years by now.

One big part of fly fishing for me is the solitude, so I avoid crowds (like Crowley on opening day or the Powerhouse Riffle on Hat), the macho pissing contests (like on far too many steelhead waters), and I frequent often overlooked streams and rivers and backpack into high country lakes and streams for good angling opportunities and that precious solitude I enjoy so much. Idaho and Montana both provide great fishing and easy to find solitude, so I usually head back that way each summer as well.

I wish I was into fly fishing back when I went to Camp Wolfboro back in the late 1970's, but I recall catching a bunch of tiny fish on lures. Still, it was a great time.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Fantastic answers to this post, I’m glad I posted it.
    I fished with my dad as a kid (spin rods) for catfish and stripers. When I became a teenager I was suddenly too “cool “ to fish. When I went to College I was too busy to fish. I started fishing again at age 28. I looked out of my window at work and saw a guy pulling a 5 foot sturgeon out of the bed of his truck. That was enough for me to get back into fishing.
    I always had a desire to fly fish but never actually thought I would learn or do it.
    I met a guy through my blog and he said we should go fishing. I agreed and he also mentioned he was going to bring his fly rod out and he would teach me how to use it.
    The first time I touched a fly rod (at the tender age of 30) I fished the middle fork of the Cosumnes River. I was perfectly content just with learning how to cast it but I also caught four small trout that day. Ever since then I was hooked!
    This was last May so I am VERY eager to learn more about it and gain experience by getting out there and seeing what works.

Cheers,

For me I was 7 in 1947 and I had a collapsable fly rod, dacron line, and a metal ladybug fly.I would wade out on a sandbar in a Minneapolis City lake and cast for bluegills.To this day, I still love a day with a 3 wt fishing for those scrappy buggers. 67 years for me.
    The worst day of fishing is better than the best day of work