Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swinging for Steelhead--does the fly matter?

Default Swinging for Steelhead--does the fly matter?

I had this conversation with a buddy last night, and I'm wondering--does the fly really matter?

(NOTE that we are not talking about trout.)

Everyone has the pretty pattern that they love to go-to or to tie. And I get that. I'm much the same way.

But I'm wondering, does the PATTERN of the fly matter at all?

I'm of the opinion that it DOES NOT matter....but I'm a relative newbie in the great world of swinging for steelhead, only doing it for 3 years now.

In my (limited) experience, it's more about presentation, color, movement, size, weight, and profile than "looks" on the bench.

It's my understanding that Ed Ward himself (the guru of skagit) fishes mo more than a worm weight and strips of different color bunny fur...

What say you?

I have kept a journal for over 30 years, and the patterns always depend on flows, seasons, and weather.
    I have also done some experimentation in the river. I would catch a few steelhead on a favorite fly, then change the fly to see what happens, and almost always proved that the fly was important.

Of course it matters. Have you ever caught a fish on a brown fly in a muddy river? Clarity (which always plays a big role in steelhead fishing due to the best time being right as the rvier drops) always dictates color. Also, the style of fly e.g. articulated v. non-articulated, dictates things such as movement etc. I would assume that the size of a fly (as long as we are talking about within normal sizes) doesnt matter as much as it does with trout, but deffinately i would think the style of fly as well as, and color, play a huge role in swinging.

Question Does the Fly Matter....

Interesting question. If it refers to whether a specific pattern/name matters, then I don't think that it actually does much matter. Of course, all of the other elements mentioned so far do matter and they make up the fly. I forget which very early issue of Salmon/Trout/Steelheader I read this in but a northwest Steelheader was reported to've said, just pick a fly and go fishing (paraphrased).

Good fishing....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Interesting question. If it refers to whether a specific pattern/name matters, then I don't think that it actually does much matter. Of course, all of the other elements mentioned so far do matter and they make up the fly. I forget which very early issue of Salmon/Trout/Steelheader I read this in but a northwest Steelheader was reported to've said, just pick a fly and go fishing (paraphrased).

Good fishing....
    Precisely what I was getting at....

"pattern and name"--i.e. an intruder vs some other weighted type of similar fly that looks the same in the water, etc.

Thanks for "getting it" Darian.

the answer you are looking for is....

sometimes
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Damn straight it matters! I sometimes spend over an hour or so on a single fly, the only thing keeping me chained to the vise being that assurance of the payback that comes from getting just the right profile and movement, or perfect blend of color and hint of sparkle. Perhaps even if it doesn't matter, I just like tying pretty bugs. Either way, I'll keep working on my tying skills and I'll still enjoy myself that much more having a full box of dozens of different colorful creations for all types of water/weather conditions, barometric pressure, tidal stage, economic trends, and overall presence (or lack thereof) of some serious MOJO... perhaps even depending on what I had for breakfast that morning. I've got all bases covered!

Oh wait, I suppose you meant does the fly matter to the steelhead...
    never mind, carry on, disregard
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I really like the info in this thread so far! What other thing that is my opinion is the same fly fished at different water depth or speed will also make the fish act different. So just have a variation of colors and type and one will get you that chrome fish
    They don't call it dope cause it makes you smarter....

Take a look at this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8p6V9EN1jo

Thumbs up At Da Vise....

JB,.... Ya got me on that one. I agree, the pattern is absolutely paramount at the vise when you're tying for a customer or just for self satisfaction.

When I was actively fishing Salmon/Steelhead, I carried several boxes of flies filled with various sizes of flies and patterns but only used around a half dozen patterns consistently. The flies I used were flies/patterns I had confidence in.

I, too, like this thread.
    Last edited by Darian; 01-03-2014 at 06:57 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown