Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders - Value Equation?

Default Waders - Value Equation?

How important are waders in terms of features and benefits versus price? I would like waders that are good quality, and would be appropriate to use for winter time fishing on the American River. Are waders a piece of gear that it makes a big difference if you purchase the expensive ones? I realize "you get what you pay for", but what is your experience?

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Tony,
    The two things I look for in waders are functionality (for the kind of fishing and wear & tear I plan to put on them) and fit.

For functionality, you need to decide how much you plan to wear them and where and how you plan to fish them. If you are going to do a lot of bushwhacking, rock hopping, climbing in and out of drifters, you best look for a pair with some serious wear & tear endurance qualities or you'll be fighting leaks for the entire life of the waders. If you only plan to fish a few times in the winter and the path to the river is easy without brambles, etc you can probably get by with a lighter cheaper pair.

Secondly, I highly recommend getting a pair that fits properly with sufficient movement capability for the kind of fishing you'll be doing. Waders that are too small in the crotch and constantly restrict movement will become such a nuisance you'll stop wearing them. Ditto waders that are too big because you'll constantly be trying to adjust the suspenders, etc. Make sure you bring what you plan to wear under the waders when you try them on too. I personally like stocking foot waders which means I also have to buy boots separately. But I do mostly wet wading so I use the boots a lot more than I do the waders.

So my final advice is to consider the above two criteria as vital and then once you find the waders that meet these criteria, get the pair you can best afford. I don't need zippers and fancy pockets and what not but that's something you should consider when you select the model. Breathables are the way to go these days - so much lighter and easier to wear. Although I will say I still wear an old pair of Streamline neoprenes when I fish in the snow. Those neoprenes have been indestructible and I've had them for 15 years I bet. Had two pairs of new legs / feet put on them.

My family got me a new pair of waders as a holiday gift this year. Nice family. I wore them for the first time yesterday.

Breathable stockingfoot waders are magical and work wonderfully year-round in CA tailwaters (I grew up wet-wading in Maine so I promise, I understand the alternatives).

However, I did discover one significant flaw in the design: if you slip on a Yuba boulder and land on your butt, an astonishing amount of water can enter the large hole at the top, where your body goes in. This can lead to significant discomfort, particularly if you were too lazy to cinch down your wading belt.

Caveat emptor!

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Note to Self: Invent drain plug for waders. Check.

I bought some Patagonia waders on closeout about 12 years ago. I used them hard for about 6 years and they started leaking around the ankles. I took them into a Patagonia shop to see about getting them repaired. They said that they did not repair them, they replaced them free of charge. I have been using those for about 6 years now with no leaks. I think that is very good value.

Ted

Over 90% of all fly fishers wear socking foot breathable chest waders that have neoprene feet.

Then they use stiff high top full lace wading boots with felt or synthetic soles.

I think the foot fit on that stocking foot is really important.

Bring in some heavy socks to try on waders and then boots.

'Then they have to be long enough in the legs so you can bend you leg to get over a big rock or log.

I think you need to buy up to around $200 to get a good wader.

Best imported wader lately is the Redington Sonic Pro.

The best waders, on average, are Simms Gore-Tex waders made in Montana, USA. ($300-$700)

If you get a leak in Gore-Tex you can spray the inside with rubbing alcohol and find the hole.

Some individuals will have a bad experience or two with any wader which is meaningless to everyone but them.

Simms is the only wader made in the USA and made with Gore-Tex so they still don't really have a true competitor.

If you disagree that is OK too.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Story # 307

I have used and sold waders for around 50 years now so I have thousands of stories about this subject.

When I worked at West Capitol Rod & Gun (the bait shop) for Harry Boley in West Sacramento in the 1970s I had a real bad wader experience.

A tall older gentleman bought a new pair of boot foot felt sole chest waders from us to go to the Dean River in British Columbia for Steelhead.

We got those waders from Adolf Blake, a big wholesale company in Reno, Nevada.

A month or so later had came in with those waders in hand. He threw them down on the counter and water was still coming out of them. He said the first day he put them on up in BC the entire inside seam blew out, completely.

Well, I open the cash register and gave him all his money back and was so glad he did not punch me.

After that one and many other experiences with customers and waders I am not a fan of selling cheap waders.

Another good idea is to test your new waders before a big trip.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S View Post
    I bought some Patagonia waders on closeout about 12 years ago. I used them hard for about 6 years and they started leaking around the ankles. I took them into a Patagonia shop to see about getting them repaired. They said that they did not repair them, they replaced them free of charge. I have been using those for about 6 years now with no leaks. I think that is very good value.

Ted
    Nothing like Patagonia's warranty! Try that with Simms...highly unlikely! Simms warranty is the worst and I believe it's because they know they have the monopoly in the market. I had a Simms wading jacket that was a total warranty issue and the only thing they would do for me is give me a new one at 40% off, I wasn't to happy about it. So once that jacket is gone..Patagonia here I come! Go with Patagonia or Orvis!

Mark,

I had the same experience with Simm's on waders that leaked on the seam area. They said they could not repair the waders and because of mold they would not replace. With that said a few year prior to that event Simm's did replace a set of Guide boots the lacing eye had come off.

Never worn Simms so I can't comment on the "top dogs", but the Redington Sonic Pro waders are great.

Don't forget Orvis. Check the wader shoot out by Yellowstone Fly shop. Best Value ?
    -
    - http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gea...elas-bootfoots