Thread: Sage ONE 6-Piece Spey Rod review?

Default Sage ONE 6-Piece Spey Rod review?

Hi, I'm currently using the Sage ONE 8136-4 and love the casting action, but air-line travel with a 4-piece spey is inconvenient to say the least. Does anyone have experience with the 6-piece 7136-6 or the 9140-6 ? Are the casting action similar to the 4-piece? I need to take an international flight to any salmon/steelhead waters and the ability to bring the rod on board as a carry on is a big plus. Thanks in advance.

Pulled the trigger on the 7136-6 and received it in the mail last weekend. After a few casting sessions with it, the rod is indeed as responsive and lively as advertised. It is actually much more enjoyable and crispier to cast as compared to the 8136-4. Thanks for the advise! The bad news is that now, I'm also tempted by the 9140-6....

I waxed the ferrules well to make sure they don't come apart. Does anyone uses tapes for the ferrules? If so, which type? Does the normal electrical tape work well?

Best Regards.

Slightly off topic, but what airlines have you had issues with carrying your 4 piece spey rods on board? I've flown with Alaska a few times with SH and DH rods as cary on, with zero issues at all. Just curious
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Slightly off topic, but what airlines have you had issues with carrying your 4 piece spey rods on board? I've flown with Alaska a few times with SH and DH rods as cary on, with zero issues at all. Just curious
    JB
    JasonB, Domestic flights within CONUS and flights to Canada are generally ok. I live in Singapore and generally need to fly more than 24 hours on international carrier to BC and the PNW, transiting through Tokyo, Seoul or Hong Kong. Airlines on international route (those I had taken range from Singapore Airline, ANA, United and Delta) are generally very strict about enforcing the carry-on baggage maximum dimension rules on international flights. I have been made to check my Spey rods in almost all the times at the gate before boarding. Best Regards.