Thread: Carp Feeding Vid...

Default Carp Feeding Vid...

Here's our newest video on one of the unique feeding signatures of carp.

Simply cut-n-paste the link into your address window.

https://vimeo.com/82417030

Enjoy!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Hey Kenny, you need to show us the cast needed to get a fly up under that cut bank and sliding down the mud wall. Very nice work! As usual.

Thanks Jay.

I know you're kidding about the field technique but here it is anyway................A nice tuck cast or a sidearm cast gets it done, BUT there's just some cover that is too tight to make the presentation. Also a short cast parallel to the bank works beautifully.

As for the fly sliding down the bank it all comes to weight selection. Be sure to carry enough choices in your fly box. We have been working with lighter weights to control the drop rate. Take another look at the video and you'll see a fly portrait. Notice how small the weight is for the relative size of the hook.

It's a great game and I know you'd love it. Just don't expect 50-fish days like on your smallmouth river!
    Cheers, K

Quote Originally Posted by k.hanley View Post

It's a great game and I know you'd love it. Just don't expect 50-fish days like on your smallmouth river!
    Cheers, K
    I do Ken. I've been bitten by the bug and Im in a great place to chase them. I hope to wade the flats of lake Michigan next summer

Jay I have a couple of SoCal buddies that made the trip to Michigan's flats. Sure enough it was about big wind, big streamers, and shots at big fish. I believe they had to work mostly from a boat because of the weather conditions. The boat allowed them to cover more flats. I wish you the best.

Great stuff Ken, no surprises there, all your footage is special. We've got our share of carp here on the Upper Middle Fork of the Feather...they can be very selective and when hooked can put an impressive bend in that 5 or 6 weight rod.

A74A5740 by StillWaterGold, on Flickr

A74A5720 by StillWaterGold, on Flickr

Pete
    FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Those are some healthy looking carp Pete. Good stuff.

By the way, do you think Sonny (the lab) ever found any gophers and jackrabbits?????

Holiday Cheers to you and yours!

I don't know if Sonny did or didn't find any but I can assure you he had fun looking!!! Have a great Holiday Ken.

Pete
    FeatherRiverSam
    Sonny, the black lab, ran ahead to make sure there were no gophers or jackrabbits in the way. If you don't give a dog a specific job, he'll improvise one for himself and it will invariably be fun. There's a lesson there.
    John Gierach

Don't know how I missed this post....

Another awesome work Ken! Thanks for sharing. Landing a sight-fished carp is definitely on my bucket list. I need to start putting in the time chasing after these guys.
    Thanks for stoking the fire....

My pleasure Mar. Thanks for the good vibes.