Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any fish in the Yuba?

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post
    No bullshit on that boat.
    "3. frequent reports on this website by a lone guide about 20-fish days, hawking discounts does not = reality. You don't see any of clients verifying those numbers, do you? Take it FWIW, considering the source."
    I can verify that there is no bullshit on that boat or from that great guide. I can also verify that hooking 20-25 fish is a normal day. He knows his rivers and is a great guy and guide.
    That said the Yuba is pretty slow if you are on foot. There are people floating from YOA down to the bridge. Some areas are better than others if you know where to go.... There are an unusual amount of fin clipped steelhead being hooked on the Yuba.
    Ahhh, how refreshing - a loosely-monitored website which allows guide advertising outside the classified subforum as well as mild profanity? As long as we're on that tune - and I'm all for it (although this is a private website, and the owner is not subject to constitutional freedom of speech) - please permit me to respond in kind:

That boat is sinking in bullshit, and this poster can't verify anything of the kind, he was not the client that day or any other day (doesn't claim to be either). Ummm, yahhhh, in addition to the big fish numbers, and the lack of substantiating client reports, there are the frequency of "open dates" and "discounts", and so forth from literally every one of said guide's posts, suggesting that guide in question's business is, well, not so busy. Hardly a theme to instill confidence.

I also disagree with the rest of this post, regarding the slowage of fishing on foot versus a boat (foot does much better), and the frequency of fin-clipped fish (I haven't seen a one in hundreds of fish caught there over a period of 20+ years, and reports of such from anyone else, on this website forum or elsewhere are extremely uncommon). Learn to get out of a boat (better yet, add a regulation preventing fishing from a boat, ala Deschutes), cover water carefully and thoughtfully, and you will catch fish.

"Envy is the ulcer of the soul."
    - Socrates

Data point:

Yuba fish from a couple years ago.

_SHig

"Studly fish".........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think thats one of the biggest fish Ive seen from the Yuba. Nicely done Shig!
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

amoeba- I am no Yuba pro, but do stumble into several fin-clipped fish every year. I guess only an expert like you is able to target wild trout and fish the river for over two decades without ever catching a single hatchery stray. Green with envy.

SHig, your fin-clipped pig is certainly a beaut!

Merry Christmas to all. Here's a few fin clippers from the past couple of weeks. I honestly don't think it's a good thing.... If I start seeing any more I am going to bonk them and eat them. It is reallly funny to think you can catch more fish on foot than the boats. During the egg bite good guides will land up to 50 fish in a day.... Bill Lowe is my favorite guide on the Yuba as he always fishes all the water I can't get to on foot. He always fishes dries and has great ethics... He also gives great tips for the day as he is drifting by
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1602.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	8151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	8152  

Yeppers

Bills a good dude.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dan LeCount View Post
    I think thats one of the biggest fish Ive seen from the Yuba. Nicely done Shig!
    Wish it were mine, but it was caught by a friend.

_SHig

Quote Originally Posted by cyama View Post
    No bullshit on that boat.

I can verify that there is no bullshit on that boat or from that great guide. I can also verify that hooking 20-25 fish is a normal day. He knows his rivers and is a great guy and guide.
    I haven't been on this BBS long enough to know what "that" boat is, but probably every one of us have gotten different reports from clients and guides who shared the same boat on the same day. I did a guide float on the Sac and at the take out our guide was enthusiastic about what a great day we had and the other guides were just as enthused. Us sports gathered in a different group and could only listen in disbelief at what great anglers we were and how many fish we caught. Its a game as well as a business. No fishermen, especially a guide wants to be low on the list among his peers.