Thread: Newbie questions... Top water setup & casting lessons

Default Newbie questions... Top water setup & casting lessons

New to fly fishing over the past few years and have really enjoyed the thrill from trout to tuna. I haven't fished for stripers on the surface with the fly yet but is by far my favorite on convention gear throwing big top water plugs in the delta.

Since I have a 8wt Xi3 with integrated sinking line for throwing clousers, I want to get another setup for top water stripers so I don't have to switch set ups as I do like to fish top water even during not ideal times. Should I get another 8 wt or jump up to a 9 or 10 weight? I have a 12 xi3 now. Heard great thinks about the pole dancer which I have a couple and hope to learn how to throw the big flys effectively..

Since I really don't know anyone who fly fishes for striper (only conventional fisherman), are there any instructors who can take my fly casting to the next level in the Sacramento area.

Also, once I get my next setup, does anyone have any recommendations on who would be a good delta guide for who likes to topwater fish.

Thank you

Get a Sage Xi3 9 weight with a Rio Outbound Short cold water WF10F for top water Stripers.

Andy and I had been several times with Kevin Doran when he was guiding the Delta for Stripers and LMB.

He said he like water that was shallow and smooth with low light.

We made long casts with medium size top water bugs like the Bubble Head with a tail added.

Kevin recommended a smooth consistent retrieve rather that a violent, fast, big action, popping retrieve.

Maybe looked like a mouse swimming smoothly across the surface.

Delta guide Maury Hatch would the best choice today for top water Stripers.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill is right. Maury is the man! ( loves top water!)And he is a really good guy, if you want PM him, you'll get very valuable info from him

I use a tcx10wt w/the rio outbound short 11wt floater. You can throw pretty big stuff. I also use the same rod you have with a floater for O'Neill. It throws small gurglers and small crease flys really good.

+1 on what Bill and James said. I'd fish with Hatch just for the burritos alone
    I think you're ahead of the game if you've successfully targeted them with topwater plugs. Once you've put in your time fishing topwater flies, it will all definitely come together.
    You can spend some time with guys like Andy Guibord or Jeff Putnam to come up on the learning curve on casting topwater flies. It will also give you an opportunity to try out different lines and rods that will suit your casting style.
    And lastly, spend LOTS of time fishing on top. Nothing like spending time on the water to hone your casting and you might even catch a fish or two in the process
    Welcome to the madness!

Thanks guys for all the tips. Sounds like I was on the right track. Now I just need a new Xi3 9 weight and lots of practice.

Thanks for the advice on Maury, i believe he lives in my neighborhood too. Look forward to seeing you guys on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Get a Sage Xi3 9 weight with a Rio Outbound Short cold water WF10F for top water Stripers.

Andy and I had been several times with Kevin Doran when he was guiding the Delta for Stripers and LMB.

He said he like water that was shallow and smooth with low light.

We made long casts with medium size top water bugs like the Bubble Head with a tail added.

Kevin recommended a smooth consistent retrieve rather that a violent, fast, big action, popping retrieve.

Maybe looked like a mouse swimming smoothly across the surface.

Delta guide Maury Hatch would the best choice today for top water Stripers.

Why overlining by one with the OBS?