Thread: Deschutes in september

Default Deschutes in september

Went to the Deschutes last Labor Day with a couple of friends. The plan was to float from Macks Canyon to the mouth for 6/7 days.
    We left on Labor Day.

The first few days were kinda slow, two fish on and one landed.

On Day 3 I left our camp after breakfast and told my friends that I wouldn't return till I landed a Steelhead. After several hours and plenty of nice runs I finally landed a Steelhead. No picture though.

Day 4 we were told a thunder storm was brewing in Central Oregon and heading our way. In the afternoon we could see, feel and hear the storm was almost upon us. So we grabbed a chair and a beverage and prepared to watch the show. Thunder and lightning was going off all around us when a bolt of lightning hit the ridge directly across the river from us,(see picture below), we saw an explosion and the grass ignited. Luckily the following rain immediately doused the flames. It rained a lot that night.

The next morning the Deschutes was still clear and the fishing got better. I landed 2 before breakfast. This one I got on the first cast.

After breakfast I hiked down river and hooked 2 landed one, lost my biggest.

Around 2 pm the water started to get cloudy, in 20 minutes it was muddy.

The rest of the day/evening was spent drinking eating and learning to play cribbage.

Dave is the best caster I have ever fished with

At our last camp Dave fished the camp water and hooked and lost a big fish.

I followed next and hooked one on my second cast

We left a day early because of the water conditions.
    Last edited by lynnwhite44; 12-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Nice trip!

LW,
    Neat story and pictures. Any snake encounters?
    Best,
    Larry S

Hi Larry, I didn't see any rattlers this year but I got buzzed once so I stopped and went back in the water. In years past I've seen a few. Three years ago I was climbing up some rocks at the shoreline when I came eye to eye with a baby rattler about 2 feet away. Scared the bejeesus out of me.