Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spey lines and winter

Thanks Troutless,
    Couple of comments:
    First off, I did look very hard at the nextcast WA55 but decided against it due to the fact that the 6/7 wt was 48' overall but cut 15' back for tips (which seemed a bit too similar to my Rage line to spend the coin). So far I've been using mostly a 10' super fast sink poly leader with the Delta, which seems to be fairly versatile in terms of depth ranges. I'm not looking to use this line for "junk" type conditions so much, so I'll likely be tossing size 6 through size 1.5 flies, usually pretty sparse and not weighted (or very lightly weighted).

One comment you made regarding avoiding the ice in the guides scenario brings up a conundrum I've been having (and yes I was foolish enough to be out freezing my butt off AND getting plenty of ice in my guides even while fishing my new line). The issue for me is that I am trying to avoid doing a massive mend, and yanking the flies all over the place on the touch down; thus I find that in order to get any sink time I need to add a lot more line into the drift prior to initiating the swing. Works nicely but it means I end up needing to strip in at least a half dozen pulls or so before making the next cast... ice in the guides begins. I also find it much, much easier to lift a sunken fly to recast it if I have a handfull of line pulls to bring it back up a bit first.

At any rate, thanks to everyone for all the thoughtful responses!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Maybe there is a WA70 in your future, then.

Interesting comment on the WA55 lengths. My own mental picture is more of WA45 - floating tip = Rage. Those are mostly in the low-40s, cut at ten feet, puts the bellies right above thirty feet. The WA55 feels different to me, about the point I start to find it awkward to use sustained-anchor casts. However, I just went and looked at my lines. I usually cast 7/8s or 8/9s. I have two 7/8s in the WA55, one a full line, one a head, the former a couple years older than the latter. The boxes say 58' for the full line, 54' for the head, current model 7/8 head is listed at 51'. I've heard that the most recent lines had the rear taper removed, apparently I should have interpreted that literally!