Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Store Name

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    So you are saying that the same staff just do not make you happy and satisfied?
    No, I'm not saying that.

Well I disagree. I enjoy going and speaking with all of them and I find everyone to be as helpful as they have always been.

Vibe remains the same for me.
    Good for you. I am saying nothing of the fine people that I have met and meet through the store. My personal feelings on the vibe change has nothing to do with Terry, Jim, Doug, Andy or Tim Au-Young.

Name change, well companies move fwd. Perhaps all of you devoted fans can errect a plaque to bill putting it under the watt bridge. A spot he talks of fishing on the American often in posts. this would be a nice tribute to a guy that has been in this city all these years building a spey and fly fishing community.

So then jethro will you start off the fund drive with a $150 donation?
    No, I will not.

Yes the new owners can call the store whatever they want as they put up the bucks. But why would you discard a brand that has been built over forty years and has wide recognization. Guess if these guys bought Apple they would discard the name and call it Tomatoes. In my view not a smart business decision. No knock on any of the staff-they are first rate and will continue to well serve the fly fishing community.

Is Grizzley Hackle and FishWest under the same ownership?

Quote Originally Posted by bassakwards View Post
    I guess I’m looking at this from a different perspective, I think changing the name of the store is the right thing

Bill is a class act, there are just not enough words to describe his contributions. Maybe we should just rename Watt to Kiene’s.

Instead of cl ay heads call it keine's riffle

Thumbs up Goodwill....

Gordon,.... I agree with the sentiment you expressed, also, that buyers/owners get to name businesses whatever they want. So far, the header of this BB hasn't been changed. In this instance, the new owners have an established name (and a former name, Grizzly Hackle). They have evidently decided to go with their existing name for all of their locations. Maybe they feel that the new name already has goodwill/recognition and will catch on(??). Who knows....???

Also, the new name may be a condition in the contract of sale. Who knows?? I've been told that Bill is on "the board" of the new ownership. If that's the case, he may not've objected to the new name. Whatever the reason, the name will still Kiene's fly shop to me.

As to the vibe, it still seems like the old atmosphere so far. The staff is unchanged with the exception that some guys from before are coming back and some new guys are coming aboard (guys we all know). I can still just drop in and talk to all of 'em. Plus, Bill still comes to the shop on occasion.

The new location is larger (square footage) and the new manager has said that he wants to expand the inventory. Lots of space for seminars and the EXPO is still on. If you haven't been in to the shop, recently, you've missed out on a "moving Sale" that was ongoing thru the point of the move. Maybe better parking available, too.

According to another thread in this forum, there's an open house at the shop on the 14th/15th of December. Check it out.
    Last edited by Darian; 12-12-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I only wish they would’ve moved to Sutter or southern Butte County.
    Be thankful you have a fly shop, by any name with as deep an inventory & knowledgeable enthusiastic staffers like Andy, whose got the patience of Job.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E. View Post
    I only wish they would’ve moved to Sutter or southern Butte County.
    Be thankful you have a fly shop, by any name with as deep an inventory & knowledgeable enthusiastic staffers like Andy, whose got the patience of Job.

Dave
    Nailed it. Well said Dave.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Well... Bill has always provided a sense of purist commitment to the craft, and now that is gone. Like it, or not, it's gone. Most serious fly fisherman who practice this craft will still frequent the neighborhood shops. We already have a Sportsman's Warehouse in the area, and Cabela's right up the hill. I wish FishWest the best and frankly I am a little scared, because there's a lot overhead tied into that center. For me, I took my first lesson from the ol' Fly Hutch, in the '70's adn do enjoy friendly, honest service and a hometown feel. I'll support the local guy.
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach