Thread: Northeast Oregon

Default Northeast Oregon

My folks live a couple hours from the Grande Ronde, so I figured I'd combine
    Thanksgiving trip with some steelhead. Fish were supposed to be 3-4 weeks late this year
    so I was hoping to hit it just right. Got into La Grande last sat. Weather was still fairly cold, no rain, seems fish are still holding in the Snake. I was headed to Boggans, tues, heard the Umatilla was on fire, great run of fish.
    Pendelton was an hour closer than Troy so I went that direction. Fished about 6 hours from the town of Rieth to Echo. Skinny water, tough access, found a few holes to swing, broke down and tried nymphing. No luck.
    A few guys I'd talked to didn't have any luck either. I did great to see some great country, spent some time on
    different water, and meet some pretty good people. I highly recommend Blue Mountain Anglers in Pendleton
    and The Joseph Fly Shop in Joseph. I did score 200 steelhead flies for 40.00 at a second hand store in Baker City, had a blast with family, and lots of turkey!!

Jealous...
    Sounds like a good time in some of my favorite country.
    Slim

JTrick, Sounds like a good time. I've fished the Grande Ronde for the past 8 years but I fish the lower couple of miles near the mouth. I haven't fished it in Oregon yet. This year seemed like a typical year for me, I averaged one fish a day. I'll try to post some pictures later.