Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polyleader v. MOW tip: when to use and how to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Vitale View Post
    Scandi heads with or with out a versitip (which is essentally a sinking leader) plus a tippet for summer run fishing
    Sorry to be a jerk, but the "versitips" in the versitip system (as named by Rio) are "tips" and are not the same as "versileaders" which are the Rio equivalent to Airflo polyleaders. Versitips and versileaders are not interchangeable. See previous comment. I wish they would choose less confusing names.

A Scandi versitip system would typically be set up as:

scandi body + versitip + leader + tippet

In the case of a floating versitip, typical for summer run, the leader would be versileader/polyleader, floating or sinking, or tapered mono sans further tippet.

A sinking versitip then perhaps straight mono tippet to the tip. At this point, for all practical purposes, one has a Skagit system under a different name, and probably downsized in grain weight.

As you can see, this can be a very confusing issue. Ann's description is pretty much spot on. Manufactures terminology can cloud what we are trying to achieve. The basis for all two hand casting (and single hand casting): mass turns over mass.
    Scandi- lighter and longer lines for smaller and lighter flies (Airlo Poly leaders or Rio Versi leaders)
    Skagit- heavier and shorter for larger and heavier flies (Rio Versi tips, MOW tips, "T" material, and lead core).

All responses are accurate and I hope, helpful. In my experience, a 13' 6" rod is more useful as a Skagit type tool and as such matches best with the lighter range of Skagit heads usually 75 grains lighter if you want to fish with a floating tip or slightly subsurface presentation- 475- 525 Skagit head and a 15' floating tip. If one fishes t-11 or t-14 in 10 - 15' lengths, you use a Skagit head 550- 575. I have used polyleaders from Airflo and Rio only with Scandi heads which should be 10- 15 % lighter than the Skagit heads mentioned above... A fisherman just needs to follow these simple guidelines and figure out what works best. I have found the guidelines I speak of to be reliable in most situations. Hope this is helpful info.. I think it is in synch with what others have said...

Thanks again everyone, it is really apreciated. The depth of knowledge within this forum is amazing.

Tight lines.