Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good quality fly vise recommendations?

Default Good quality fly vise recommendations?

I will be tying Northern California fly patterns, including shad flies. Any recommendations for a "you can't go wrong" fly vise?

Regal for 'quick and easy'.

Dyna King 'Trekker' for the full rotary.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If you want a very functional full rotary vise that won't break the bank get a Danvise. I tied on one for years but I am now using a Norvise and it is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHEYE View Post
    If you want a very functional full rotary vise that won't break the bank get a Danvise. I tied on one for years but I am now using a Norvise and it is excellent.
    Wow, that Norvise is a nice looking machine!

I have a nor vise and a renzetti master vise. I think the nor vise would serve you well. You can dub without using wax, apply materials using the "full" rotary. I would go to their web site and watch Norm demo the vise, you'll be amazed a what you can do

Jay

I don't begin to fully use the Norvise to its capacity. I love watching Norm demo the vise and all it can do. I delayed getting one but when I finally did it was amazing. I can never go back to the old vises. For some of the flies I tie, like a furled, articulated bunny leech for trout, the norvise is essential. Be advised, there is a learning curve both for the vise and the bobbins, but when you get it- WOW!

You didn't mention your tying level, nor price range. The Norvise is expensive and a sufficiently different way of tying that I would typically only recommend it to more experience tiers. The Norvise is a love/hate sort of device and while it has its fans, there are more than enough detractors out there as well, but that's another discussion.

I would add to Bill's original list of the Regal Medallion and the Dyna-King Trekker, the Renzetti Traveler. There are the top three vises on the market today, at least in terms of what you see when large number of tiers gather. A less common non-rotary vise that you could add to the list is the HMH, but good luck finding one you could look at in this area. If these are outside your price range, a Danvise would be an adequate first vise but if you stick with tying, I would guess you will outgrow it sooner than later.

Good luck.
    Last edited by JD; 11-27-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    -JD

I have the Peak Rotary I really like it......it's just a solid no frills vise and it's made in the US to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    You didn't mention your tying level, nor price range. The Norvise is expensive and a sufficiently different way of tying that I would typically only recommend it to more experience tiers. The Norvise is a love/hate sort of device and while it has its fans, there are more than enough detractors out there as well, but that's another discussion.

I would add to Bill's original list of the Regal Medallion and the Dyna-King Trekker, the Renzetti Traveler. There are the top three vises on the market today, at least in terms of what you see when large number of tiers gather. A less common non-rotary vise that you could add to the list is the HMH, but good luck finding one you could look at in this area. If these are outside your price range, a Danvise would be an adequate first vise but if you stick with tying, I would guess you will outgrow it sooner than later.

Good luck.
    Fly tying will be a re-birth for me. I tied when I was a much younger man, and considered myself very good at it. I looked at the Norvise video on their website and the first thing that struck me is that I don't truly understand the advantage of spinning the vise to apply the thread and materials versus simply using the stationary hook and wrapping. My assumption is that it is somehow a time saver, but I can't believe unless you are tying for profit that that could make that big a difference. Is there something else about this feature that I am missing?

PS. Regarding price range, I would consider the Norvise to be in my price range, but I don't like to pay for bells and whistles that I would not deem necessary.
    Last edited by TonyMuljat; 11-28-2013 at 08:39 AM.

If you were to watch a slew of tying videos on the net you see that very few, if any use the Norvise. If I were to replace the Renzetti Traveler that I have been using for about 20 years, I would look into a vise that has a few gadgets and doodads that aid in controlling materials.

A lot depends on what you plan on tying now and in the future, such as, small trout flies on up to the full dress classics. It boils down to the size of the hook and the many materials that would be used. Years ago I was concentrating on trout nymphs now it's all about steelhead patterns and dabbling in the full dress classics, you may want to tie up some salt or bass patterns that use larger hooks, so on so forth.

You are smart to seek advice from tyers, good luck.
    Live every day like its your last and one day you'll get it right.