Thread: 390/420 combo on the Echo TR 6126

Default 390/420 combo on the Echo TR 6126

Anyone out there using the 390 grain Airflo Scandi compact head on the TR 6126, along with a 420 grain Airflo Skagit head? I have read reviews that favor this lighter combination on that stick - much lighter than those from Rajeff Sports.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

if it works for you, use it. Most rods have a pretty wide grain range in which they will function depending on what you want to do with them. Likely in the lower ranges you will do better with lighter tips and flies.

Kiene's site is recommending higher ranges for that stick but it is all about personal preference. A good example is the Anglers Roost 12-ft for a 2-3 wt. A lot of folks are using lines in the 210 to 230 grain range. I have not tried lines in that range but know it loads really well with skagits and Rages in the 275 to 350 grain range and that is what I use

Smile

The Airflo Two-Handed line to rod chart recommends a 450/480 Scandi/Skagit combination for the Echo TR 6126, which is way too heavy, in my opinion. I recently sent an email to Rajeff Sports, and received a reply from their marketing director stating that the current recommendation is a more modest 420/450 combination. A number of guides who have tested and fished this rod favor the lighter 390/420 combination, and that's where I'm leaning at this point. At any rate, the good folks at Kiene's are sending me a 390 grain Scandi head to try with this rod, and hopefully I'll like it.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir