Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turneffe Bones....

I second the DEET. The stuff I used comes from Australia. It's called BushMan and it does keep all the bugs away, but only if you apply it. Some days I didn't use and and got eaten by sand fleas and black flies. I got the sand fleas wading the flats right in front of the lodge also some mosquito bites. You'll see why the mosquitos are there.... Lot's of rain creates lots of standing water for them to breed in.
    As for boots, I also rented a pair of Simms Flats Sneakers. They were pretty good when walking across the coral and the reefs. I have a pair of wading neoprene wading booties (zip up type) and was told that the coral could/would poke through the bottom
    We did have a gal there with a pair of Simms wading booties and she had sore feet at the end of the day. You need to have something with a hard sole. First aid kit....next time I plan on taking one with me.
    I'm heading back next year, hopefully for a hook up on some permit

Enjoy your trip... Where are you fishing

Jay

Hey Jay, thanks very much. We'll I'm heading there on honeymoon, we have half our time in Ambergriscaye. I haven't booked any fishing yet, I think I'll only "be allowed" one full day plus some half days doing solo stuff. Any recommendations welcome!

Steve, on Ambergris, don't bother with the half day. The cost differential is not worth it. Do the full day, go early, or quit early, to match your bride's needs. You also will rarely, if ever be wading. Yes, I know there are some TV shows with wading. It's really staged in a few select areas for the audience. Then again you'll catch a ton out the boat. Solo is hard there to. Are you staying up north? There is some DYI up there.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

John thanks. We're staying at the Coppola place, not sure if the name. Was hoping I could do 1 day guide and some type of DIY at some point. Of course I'll explore flexibility for another day of guided fishing, one can only try right ?!

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Steve, on Ambergris, don't bother with the half day. The cost differential is not worth it. Do the full day, go early, or quit early, to match your bride's needs. You also will rarely, if ever be wading. Yes, I know there are some TV shows with wading. It's really staged in a few select areas for the audience. Then again you'll catch a ton out the boat. Solo is hard there to. Are you staying up north? There is some DYI up there.
    Explain more on the DIY up north John if you would.
    My bride to be and I will be at Chabil Mar in Placencia in May.
    I love to walk in search for fish in the wee hours of the morning before everyone else is awake.