Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch skagit problems

I am sure the line is rigged correctly, line was loaded at a fly shop.
    Great advice to slow down, unlike the fast pace/shooting line when I use a floating scandi line.
    I will consider another heavier line as well.
    Really I was looking for an excuse to buy another rod!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    This may sound dumb, but are you sure the head is on the right way?

briansII
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are right in front of you. It doesn't hurt to experiment by flipping the head, especially when it is done in the privacy of your own run. Had a similar issue when I felt more comfortable with my scandi. It went as far as a buddy borrowing my reel lined with the scandi. He was looking at the line and told me it was backwards. What? How could that be? He said the taper was backwards and it was suppose to go to the running line. Is that right? I had carefully looped the end marked for the running line connection. It turned over just fine. Skeptical of my partner's suggestion, I called Rio, got the scoop and it was lined correctly. When it came time to swap out Airflo Skagit, it was no longer in the package and forgot how it attached to my running line. Thought by just looking at the loops, I could figure it out. At best, it was a 50% chance of being correct. My cast fell apart and struggled for awhile before the thought of flipping the head. All of sudden things were one with nature.

Yes, it does sound dumb, but it is an easy fix. Slowing down your stroke, as was pointed out earlier, and make sure you have enough stick to avoid losing your anchor. If your stroke is slow enough, you can pickup line and load the rod without ripping it off the water. Listen for the auditory indicator- quieter is better.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Norman B View Post
    I really think it's the rod. It's just not suited for throwing skagit lines. You'll never be happy with that rod. Time to pony up and get the proper equipment.

Hope that helps.

briansII

Quote Originally Posted by gitt View Post
    It went as far as a buddy borrowing my reel lined with the scandi. He was looking at the line and told me it was backwards. What? How could that be? He said the taper was backwards and it was suppose to go to the running line. Is that right? I had carefully looped the end marked for the running line connection. It turned over just fine. Skeptical of my partner's suggestion, I called Rio, got the scoop and it was lined correctly. When it came time to swap out Airflo Skagit, it was no longer in the package and forgot how it attached to my running line. Thought by just looking at the loops, I could figure it out. At best, it was a 50% chance of being correct. My cast fell apart and struggled for awhile before the thought of flipping the head. All of sudden things were one with nature.

If you look at the taper on a Rio Outbound or OBS, it is awfully similar to a reversed scandi head. Those lines will not speycast for beans, and they turnover like a pregnant hippopotamus, but they shoot like the dickens and will cast a dead rat. If you ever find yourself needing to deliver a big fly on a light rod, and all you've got is a scandi head, try reversing it and overhead casting.

I agree with some other posts that you should be able to cast that setup quite well. Curious if you are in fact blowing your anchor but if not then I would likely go shorter - say an AIRFLO Skagit Switch - 18.5 feet or a bit longer depending on grain weight - maybe the 390 would be a nice fit.

But if you are using touch and go casts with your scandi then likely you are going too fast. Slow way down and keep a very compact casting stroke - your elbows should stay close to your sides, your upper hand should get no higher than shoulder height. Skagit casting especially with short rods and short heads should be a very compact stroke

I had a similar setup on a Zaxis switch rod and after a couple line changes and configurations I adjusted the position of my top hand (lowered it) and it all came together. That might not be your issue but try moving your top hand up and/or down and see if that helps. I'm no pro by the way but I am a die hard....

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    This may sound dumb, but are you sure the head is on the right way?
    briansII
    Quote Originally Posted by troutless View Post
    Hey, I haven't done that for at least a month!
    I am sure the line is rigged correctly, line was loaded at a fly shop.
    Great advice to slow down, unlike the fast pace/shooting line when I use a floating scandi line.
    I will consider another heavier line as well.
    So I go out to try a new line(Rage Compact)on a TCX 6119. It's the "recommended" weight for this rod, but when I try it, everything feels wrong. Feels too light and I'm not getting any distance. Yep. I put the head on backwards. DOH! I'm not saying your head is on backwards, but a fly shop can make mistakes too. If you are have drastic changes to your distance with a "recommended" line, maybe flip it around and try it again.

briansII

I checked the line, and it was on correctly.
    I think that the rod just is too wimpy for a skagit and sink tip.
    The Beulah rod was great all season swinging a scandi line, but like u said, I probably need a bigger gun for a switch skagit set up.

I think it's a technique issue over a tackle issue.
    I have the 10'6 4/5 and that rod will turn over 8' of t8 with a skagit head or wulff ambush line with ease.
    Anchor placement and speed/power of your cast will be very different with a skagit then a scandi.
    Maybe try the head paired with a fast sinking 10' versileader instead of the 2.5 sink mow.
    Try to spend some time on the water with someone with more experience casting skagit lines before you decide to buy anything,
    you might be surprised what that little rod can do.

I checked the line, and it was on correctly.
    I think that the rod just is too wimpy for a skagit and sink tip.
    The Beulah rod was great all season swinging a scandi line, but like u said, I probably need a bigger gun for a switch skagit set up.
    Norman, I fish a 5119 with the recommended (330) rage head myself in waters right out your back door (if you're in willow creek).

That rod LOVES a rage head.

You know who turned me on to that head? Jason Hartwick and Aaron Stiny. Aaron may not be much help (he works at a competing line company) but Jason is local to you and actually helped me find the right weight for my stroke.

Perhaps in the "swing" season of the year (now between the fall and winter runs) you may be able to grab jason for a little afternoon casting session to try some different things?

He's at:

steelheadonthespey.wordpress.com

Jed