Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch skagit problems

Default Switch skagit problems

I have a Beulah 6/7 switch rod 10 ft 6 in and it has been a great rod for swinging a scandi line with this years low water conditions.
    What a great rod and Beulah is a great company too, broke my tip a few weeks ago and sent it back and the turn around was 10 days!
    When I got my rod back, I decided to try my skagit line with a T8 sink tip. My great casting with the scandi line turned into difficult and poor casting with the skagit/sink tip set up.
    I think that the rod is a little short and not stout enough to throw the heavier skagit/tips.
    Do I need a longer switch rod ?11 ft and maybe a 7 or 8 weight, or is it all because of my poor technique?
    Which switch rod do you expert spey casters like for sink tip applications as the waters rise and get cold?
    Any advice is appreciated.

How Many grains is the skagit head?
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

You might try a 12'6" #6 Spey rod for a light Skagit rod?

**I agree that those classic Beulah Switch rods are a little short and a little soft.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Maybe casting a skagit short head or the new Rio Max Skagit heads might help. Sounds like you might be using to heavy of a skagit head and with sinking tip its creating a bit of a problem. Also might want to start out by using a floating or a 5/5 tip versus a full sinking.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I am using a 350 gr skagit as recommended by Beulah.
    The T8 sink tip was the 7.5/2.5 MOW tip
    I have a great Meiser 12'6", but with the low river, the switch fits the conditions for me best.

Just to clarify, is it the Tonic 350 you are fishing, and the MOW tip with 7.5ft of T-8, 2.5ft of floater (as opposed to 2.5ft T-8, 7.5 ft floater?)

In my opinion, while that is not an ideal rig for winter conditions, that's not the issue. For a winter short rod, I use a Z-Axis 8110 and 510gr Skagit Switch, but, the heavier rig is more to manage larger flies which in turn cast better with a heavier tip, not about turnover of light tips. The 6/7 Beulah should be more than capable of managing the tip you are using. 7.5' of T-8 is really not very heavy as such things go. I cast the MOW lights for trout on a Beulah 5/6 10'6" switch and I believe the same weight Tonic (or less). So, I would point to technique first. What issues are you having?

The Tonic is fairly compact, but, if you wanted, and think it might help your casting, you could probably go up in grain weight quite a bit, say to an Airflo Skagit Switch 420. Rio recommends up to 425gr Skagit, Airflo even more.

Thanks for the replies so far
    Yes the Tonic 350, the tip is 2.5 T8, 7.5 floater
    I was having problems shooting the line out after the D loop is established, but I had no problems with the same rod with the scandi line and no sink tip, just a 9 foot leader

Quote Originally Posted by Norman B View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far
    I was having problems shooting the line out after the D loop is established, but I had no problems with the same rod with the scandi line and no sink tip, just a 9 foot leader
    This may sound dumb, but are you sure the head is on the right way?

Casting is fine with a longer scandi line, but having troubles with a shorter skagit makes me wonder if you are loosing your anchor.

briansII

Quote Originally Posted by Norman B View Post
    Only 2.5 feet of sinking material? Really should be no issue casting that, not very much difference from a full floating tip (unless you are in very slow water and REALLY letting it soak). Very hard to debug casting problems over the internet, get someone to watch your cast. Could be any number of things. Blowing the anchor/ too much speed/power, timing issues (forward cast too late, forward cast too early), mis-aligned D-loop are common issues. A short Skagit head does have different requirements on timing and stroke length, especially on a short rod, if you are gunning it with the scandi line you may run into problems.

Try to slow your cast down as much as possible and try to see where things are going wrong.
    Last edited by troutless; 11-04-2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: exposition

Quote Originally Posted by briansII View Post
    This may sound dumb, but are you sure the head is on the right way?
    Hey, I haven't done that for at least a month!