Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

I agree with getting it checked by a medical professional. Stretching a few times a week or daily is also beneficial. Ask your doctor about an OTC joint supplement like glucosamine/chondroitin. Also could it be a gear problem? Rod setups with heavy swing weights could wreak havoc on casting fatigue and soreness.

It's only when I do a day of nymphing, when I'm doing nothing but roll casting big setups and tight lining. I always double haul my roll cast to make it a little easier or water load it. It's only been doing this for the last few times I've been out. I haven't fished since june and have gone out the last few weeks. I was thinking it was because I haven't used that muscle since but the pain wasn't the same as working out a day before. I might need to go back to the gym instead of working on the casa. Also, I'm not out of shape but I'm not in "single guy" shape like I used to be LOL.

But I'm going to look into some casting videos or lessons. Never hurts to have some out of the box opinions and constructive criticism to possibly stop the pain if it persists.

There are some good exercises you can do at home with a large rubber band that helps...My right shoulder feels and sounds like rusty ball bearings rubbing together...One year I could not raise my arm... The exercises helped a ton....Hope this helps....

A double haul on a roll cast puts a lot of strain on your rotator cuff if the elbow is held above the shoulder. Holding the elbow high is pretty natural when tight lining. Doing this repeatedly all day will certainly cause some pain. Keep the elbow relaxed and below the shoulder. Try mixing up your up and behind roll casts with some canted, off to the side roll casts to avoid repetitive stress.

For most people, hauling on a roll cast is counter productive because it moves the line and breaks the surface tension which is what creates much of the loading in the first place. If you have impeccable timing you can pull this off, but what most people gain from the haul is pretty much lost by the broken surface tension.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10-27-2013 at 10:35 PM.

That would make sense. I got the timing down pretty good double hauling my roll cast. I only do it when I need distance in a roll cast. But you make a good point having the elbow high tight lining and roll casting with my elbow up high. I know I keep my elbow high. I'll try changing that!

For me the arm does not get tired from casting but from holding the rod and manipulating the line and mending. Try holding the line in your non casting hand.
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Hell, my whole body hurts after a day of fishing.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

The only time I ever had shoulder pain during fishing, was after a partial rotator cuff injury that I didn't notice; but that was from tennis the day before, not fishing. It eventually healed (5 yrs physical therapy, 3 steroid treatments, several MRI's, alot of co-payments, but no surgery), and never hurt again. Any chance it got hurt doing something else in your case?

How much pain do you have? If more than a 2-3 out of 10, you need to lay off. You shouldn't be experiencing pain from fishing, but if you are, you should not be fishing or doing anything to that shoulder in a way that causes pain. A doctor will probably recommend ice, rest, much larger doses of antiinflammitories than you are taking, and physical therapy exercises. He may allow you to fish or do other physical activities, as long as you don't raise your hand above shoulder height.

Yeah it hurt more like 6 out of 10. I'm going to go out again this weekend and see if i get the same outcome. This could be a deal breaker for my fly fishing future. I never had any upper body injuries. It doesnt hurt to lift my arm above my shoulder, it hurts when I flex my back. It feels like a pulled muscle if thats what a rotator cuff injury feels like.