Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain

Default Shoulder pain

Anyone have any shoulder pain after one day of fishing? I'm only 30 and fish once a week. After every fishing day my should gets real sore. Today its the worse its been yet. Had to take some advil to stop the pain. Any recommendations or experience with this issue? I was thinking of practicing left handed to switch it up so my right shoulder isn't over used.

Try using your non-dominant (left?) hand to haul more (double haul) and use less power with the hand/arm you grip the rod with.

Many have gone to two-handed/Spey casting for this same reason but most are older than you.

If you come by the shop I am sure we can give you some coaching on your casting.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Once a week is the problem! 4 days a week your muscle memory will kick in and you'll be good to go! Could it be related to a old sports injury? I'm starting to feel mine as age sets in.

Get on youtube and find one of Lefty Kreh's casting videos. Unless you are casting through the boat and need to high stick, Lefty's style works for many situations. It takes most shoulder movement out of the equation.

I have chronic shoulder issues and it helps a lot.
    Bill Siler

Question Shoulder Issues....

Three things you can do about shoulder pain.

1) Get it checked out by medical staff (to be sure it's not gonna get worse. IMO, 30 is too young to be experiencing that kind of condition without it being some injury from the past).

2) Get a casting lesson (if it's not a medical condition).

3) Switch to Spey casting (it's supposed to be easier on the joints than standard casting motions).

If you're unable to accept those suggestions, rest it for a while and see if that solves the problem. Nothing lost except time fishing.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I might suggest also some stretching before any casting.......
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

If you can get checked by an Orthopedist. A scan will determine if there is any damage to the joint and corrective action can be taken. Believe me, the results were definitely worth it to me.

I agree with Charlie, get it checked out. Now, if it never hurts otherwise, I'd suggest stretching beforehand like Aron said.

I used to play golf a lot, and was rarely sore. I went and hit a bucket of balls last week, and I was sore in multiple places
    for a few days. So as a doctor (uh hem.....), I'd suggest fishing more. LOL.

EO

If you're not in shape that wouldn't be a surprise. Safe to get to get it checked but if its nothing then I'd suggest getting your shoulders, back, core in shape. I have a background in this stuff.

Rossflyguy, I am a 34. I usually fish once a week also. Ocasionally I'll get a sore shoulder but not every time. I find it seems to happens if I fish a long day of indicator fishing. It's never been bad enough that I needed any medicine and it's not every time so I have not seen a doctor about it. Is yours sore every time? Does it change with the method of fishing your doing?