Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shoulder pain

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Yes, Eric. Mix in a few poison oak leaves into your salad every night at dinner. Then steep some leaves into a poison oak tea and drink it before you go to bed. You may experience some minor mouth irritation and abdominal pain, but after a year of this treatment, you should be able to roll in the stuff and not be affected.

There's no poison oak on the Pit, is there?
    Just stick it in your pipe

Quote Originally Posted by EO View Post

I've had it so many times that I think my cases are getting less and less. Sure seems like it after all the
    bushwhacking I've done. Does anyone know if you can build up an immunity to poison oak?

EO
    I've read that you can be MORE sensitive to poison oak after repeated exposure. There is hope though......

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/...-scratched-out

Sorry for the continued hijack.

briansII

Interesting.

They'd have to pay me a lot of money to put poison oak under my tongue...a LOT.

Jeff,
    You first. I'll follow a few weeks later after the results.

Jbird,
    I may just toss some in the 'ol Hooka to see what transpires ;o)

EO

Rossflyguy,
    My advice for your shoulder pain is to rub poison oak on it. You might also want to look into switch/spey
    casting. Jeff Putnam has some videos out with switch rod casting with a SH rod. Good luck.
    Best,
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    Rossflyguy,
    My advice for your shoulder pain is to rub poison oak on it. You might also want to look into switch/spey
    casting. Jeff Putnam has some videos out with switch rod casting with a SH rod. Good luck.
    Best,
    Larry S

I'm not sure it all has to do with my casting. I do refrigeration for a living and I'm sure lifting heavy parts/material in awkward places and positions sure did a toll on my back/shoulder. A lot of techs I know have slipped disks from doing what I'm doing. I'm just going to have to keep it easy on the shoulder.

Did someone say Urushiol, I hate the $hit!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	071013 009.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	7903
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 11-04-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Dannnng. I'd be at emergency pleading for the cortisone shot.

To quote Newman......."Vile weed!"

If the pain you are having isn't going away, above all, see a doctor. A small thing beyond that, that may help is try a lighter, longer rod. For what you're doing, I probably wouldn't use a spray pole(spey rod) Spey/switch rods are great for swinging streamers but have serious limitations nymphing because of the pure weight makes their hook setting very slow and they tend to be a lot less delicate with moderate to lighter tippets.(like you would use at Putah) Like a spey rod, with a light, long one hander, you end up having to reach much less and lift your arm much less then you would with a 9 footer, but they also can set the hook at very good speeds. Greys 11' 3wt has been my main stick, but there's a lot of other comparable brands. It doesn't fish like a 3wt, its really more like a 5 or even 6 wt. They also dry fly fish pretty decent as well. Anyways, something to maybe think about/try out.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

I hear the new split Toxicodendron diversilobum cane spay rods by Itchy Oak Rods are super sensitive, light weight fast action rods that make you itch to go fish!

J. Ice

Good one, ICE! Let's hope Rossflyguy gets relief from this problem. No one should be subjected to the torture
    of not fishing!
    Best,
    Larry S