Thread: Spawning areas on the American River to avoid (with Google Maps included!)

Default Spawning areas on the American River to avoid (with Google Maps included!)

With the on-going debates about spawning, and where to fish, where not to fish, closing the river, etc. I thought I would take the time to point out the number of areas I have been taught by others not to fish.

Although a closure above the Hazel bridge might do the river (and resource) well, realistically it's never going to happen.

Like it or not, we live near an ARTIFICIAL fishery, with genetically and man-made hatchery fish, artificially created spawning grounds, and the like.

And, it should be pointed out, that we are rather fortunate to have such a wonderful resource after all. We need to remember that the American watershed serves really to provide water conservation and flood control at this point; where millions can be safe from floods, can use the water to irrigate crops, and the water can turn potable so that we can drink it safely.

This artificial resource, like it or not, was created and keeps running not for the preservation of the ecosystem, or the biosystem, but primarily to provide recreation for humans. That's why we can catch fish and eat them. They're there for that purpose.

Here are a number of google maps that I put together to show the areas to avoid spawners, and preserve our resource accordingly.

If you know of any other areas that I have left out, please let me know and I'll add it to this list.

May be good to Sticky this thread?

Here's upper Sailor Bar:

Lower Sailor Bar (Sailor Bar Whore Island):

Upper Sunrise:

Sunrise Whore Island:

Middle Sunrise:

Those maps do a good job highlighting some of the most popular redd spots, another two that should be on the list are: the south side of the river about 300 yards( give or take) below the sunrise foot bridge and obviously the spawning gravel at the hatchery. Like most on this board it blows me away to see how guys are abusing the fish at these spots, and the worst part is that there seems to be more guys doing it every year. My favorites are the guys who hook and lose the same fish over and over until they land it, just priceless.

Jed,
    GREAT post - thanks for taking the time. There might be some others that I would add, but you hit the most heavily concentrated areas for both fish and snaggers. Hopefully those who need to read it will. Thanks again!