Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice Fields

Default Rice Fields

Some good results from using the obvious resources.

http://news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_...lasso?id=10493
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Interesting, and a bountiful use of ignored past resource.

Question By-Pass Waters....

Interesting read. If I understand what I've read in the current version of the BDCP, using the by-pass waters is part of the planned strategy for recovery. This study probably will confirm that the strategy will work. Of course, whether the strategy will get a chance to work will be dependent on whether the public votes to approve the proposed bond issue funding Delta restoration projects and without funding, this project is probably DOA.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

D, it seems to me that this particular project could have been implemented years ago, regardless of the BDCP. This all happens way upstream of the proposed pumps. Are we that far gone? Ed
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Thumbs up By-Pass Stuff....

Yep!!! The project will confirm what UCD scientists have been discussing/proposing for many years now. Seems to me that levee set-backs were proposed by UCD to expand the river bed, allowing it to return to natural flow patterns as far back as in the 80's. Of course, the Army Corps of Engineers plus many others objected and....

Now, comes along the BDCP. The plan includes a Delta restoration component but the title of this component is misleading. If you look at the map and read the description of the geographical/regulatory responsibility of the Delta Stewardship Council which includes the Office of the Delta Watermaster, the material includes all of the waters flowing into the Delta up to/including water from the Trinity River to the north and all of the waters to the east and south up to the point where pre-existing dams are in place.

So,.... Anything proposed for any waters involved in BDCP has to be approved by the council. Doesn't mean this project won't be approved but there're lots of new regulatory hurdles to jump before implementation. Hopefully, it will be included in the list of smaller projects proposed for completion prior to actual start of the main Tunnel project but unless it's already available, funding may still be an issue.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Fat Rice Field Smolts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl View Post
    D, it seems to me that this particular project could have been implemented years ago, regardless of the BDCP. This all happens way upstream of the proposed pumps. Are we that far gone? Ed
    Can anyone tell me what happens to these Fat well fed Smolts after they By Pass the Delta traveling through the Twin Tubes???

Question Diversion....

Ground Trout hamburgers??? Good one, Frank!!!

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    Ground Trout hamburgers??? Good one, Frank!!!

mmmmmmm getting hungry now

Add a few spices and good to go for a nice burger meal......
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Sounds like a better option than hatcheries.... the fish will probably learn how to avoid predators and have a better survival rate than swimming around in fish tanks eating goldfish food.

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianV View Post
    Sounds like a better option than hatcheries.... the fish will probably learn how to avoid predators and have a better survival rate than swimming around in fish tanks eating goldfish food.
    A fish that makes it back to the river it was let go in makes a good enough fish to come back. Regardless of how it is born to me avoiding the vast ocean predators make it smart enough to survive.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"