Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Klamath OR Rogue - Oct 28th????

Default Klamath OR Rogue - Oct 28th????

Heading to either the Klamath or Rogue on October 28th and wanted to see if anyone has any up to date info on either. It seems like both are doing well but I hear that the Rogue has cooled down quite a bit and I am only swinging fly's........

My gut is telling me to head to the Klamath....starting in Weitchpec and head north.....

However, if a few folks think the Rogue could be the better bet, then I will go there first and then head down the Klamath if that doesn't pan out.

Any thoughts?

Thumbs up Klamath....

A friend returned from the upper Klamath on Sunday to report that it was a great trip (meaning many fish caught). I'd vote following the original plan for the Klamath of fishing from Weitchpec up river. How about adding the trinity on the Hoopa as well.... Whatever you decide, good luck!!!
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Darian,

Thanks for the info.....The Trinity is a given.......Fishing the Klamath for me always includes the Trinity.....Package Deal.....can't beat it...lol

Last few times I've fished the Rogue, it was pretty action packed (for steelhead fishing that is). I have very very little experience fishing the Klamath, so no comparisons to be drawn there from me. I will say that I think your plan sounds a bit more fun, on the adventure/aesthetic side of things. I would imagine that there should be pretty ample chances at some fish either way you go there so kinda more like which one suites your tastes or logistics better.
    Good luck,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Thanks for your thoughts Jason!

I could probably just save all the strategizing and fish the Rogue, work my way down the Klamath and up the Trinity. I just don't want to use up too much time I could be on the water driving.......

I guess I am just trying to figure out which water will be better for swinging.

If anyone is going to be on either of them this weekend, let me know and I will hit you up for a report and go clean up on what you didn't have time to pull off. lol

Ben,
    Only advice I can add is "You do have the Streamtime maps, right?" Have fun. Looking forward
    to a report.
    Best,
    Larry S

I have about 10 of those maps, including the Rogue.......love those maps

In regards to the Klamath, you may want to forego Weitchpec, and blast straight on up to Happy Camp. I have a feeling most of the fish are up there. But definitely get a report, before you leave.
    "Radiate, radiate, radiate far and wide as the lines of latitude and longitude on a globe."
    - John Muir

There are fish above Happy Camp. I spent last week there and hooked adults every day. A friend had a phenomenal day on the upper river yesterday. Have fun and tight lines. I'm headed back that way on Monday for another week.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Here is an old trick for fishing a Steelhead river with a road along it for miles like the Trinity and Klamath Rivers.

No parked vehicles along the river, no boats or rafts in the river, no anglers = no fish in that area......keep driving to you see people, vehicles and boats.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........