Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $5000 Budget for Jan - March...where should I go

Default $5000 Budget for Jan - March...where should I go

The wife and I plan to take a fishing trip before our kid is born, anybody out there have any ideas on the hot fishing spot for Jan through March? We would like to travel out of country and not spend more then $5000...nice accommodations not important just good fishing

You need to get a list of places that are good in that time period.

You could go to the tropics?

Maybe MX Yucatan, Belize or the Bahamas for a 'do it yourself' trip.

New Zealand, Argentina/Chile are good then but too much $$$

We will be in Florida then......

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Baby tarpon fishing in cancun!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene retired View Post
    You need to get a list of places that are good in that time period.

You could go to the tropics?

Maybe MX Yucatan, Belize or the Bahamas for a 'do it yourself' trip.

New Zealand, Argentina/Chile are good then but too much $$$

We will be in Florida then......

My thoughts exactly Bill, would love to go to Argentina

Reel,
    You might want to fire off a PM to David Lee; a Kiene member. He and his wife have done the Baja bit
    quite a few times and could be a well of information.
    Best of luck on the trip and the upcoming arrival.
    Larry S

East Cape of Baja Sur , town of La Ribera . Two weeks , lots of cool and different Fishes to play with , quiet , nice Mexicans , romantic , almost always good weather , good food/water , SAFE !!! Two weeks , you're spend less than half of what you have budgeted including Car/lodging/food .

It works for us !!

D.~

(Hi Larry !!)

Question East Cape....

One thing to remember about the East Cape in the time frame you've mentioned is that it is the windy time of the year down there; more suited to sailboarding. Not so much for fishing if you're going to go try to go out in a panga. The surf will be higher due to winds as well. If great fishing's not important or if you're a sailboarder yourself, everything David said is true. It's a wonderful place to vacation....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Good point about the wind , D. . Weather is always a consideration . That said .... in 8 years of fishing down there(6 months actual time in Baja) , I've been blown off the water maybe 6 times total . Being on a Panga is probably a different story .... but there's almost always a lee from the wind somewhere when you're fishing the surf .

We'll be down November 24th this year , staying until January 7 , maybe a little longer ..... I'll have a facebook page documenting the whole trip live (video , photos , live posts , all that stuff) . I'll put the link up here in a few days .

D.~

Default Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    East Cape of Baja Sur , town of La Ribera . Two weeks , lots of cool and different Fishes to play with , quiet , nice Mexicans , romantic , almost always good weather , good food/water , SAFE !!! Two weeks , you're spend less than half of what you have budgeted including Car/lodging/food .

It works for us !!

D.~

(Hi Larry !!)
    Thanks David,

Do you have any recommendations on guides or lodges? Also did you get into any roosters in that area because that would be the target species if I headed to baja

Guides -

Mike Rieser and Lance Peterson , both are Friends of mine . Mike is a great guy who knows his stuff , but is usually in the States during your time period . His company is called Baja Flyfishing Company . Lance is also a good guy , he lives on the East Cape year-'round and will be there January thru April . Google them . Quite a few other guides down there , but I know these two -

There's a nice Bed and Breakfast in La Ribera , I'll have to find a link to it . Hotel Punta Colorada would be my first choice , but not sure if they will be open during your time frame . I normally will rent a house from a local Mexican . Several very nice lodges/Hotels are North a few miles in Los Barriles , google Van Wormer resorts/Rancho Leonaro/Spa Buena Vista .

YES !! Lots of Roosterfish (remember , I am there in December , so I don't have first hand knowledge about Jan.-March) , few classic sight fishing opportunities during Winter, but lots of small (10 Lbs. and under) ones around . I catch them blind casting ..... along with about 40 other species , all are screamin' fun on a light (6-9 wt,) Flyrod .

We fish on foot , fly and light spinning tackle . We don't use Guides/live bait for chum/fish from Pangas , though there is nothing wrong with doing it the 'standard' way . Search the saltwater forum on this board for my Baja reports - you will get a feel for how to do it .

D.~