Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lines that tangle

Default Lines that tangle

Was wondering if the lines are two old, or if my line management is not so good sometimes. Seems I get tangles in floating, and sinking lines sometimes.

Also, do tapered leaders have a useful life?

RLR,
    I'm sure others will weigh in on this issue. Years ago, I was told that line twist could be prevented by always casting out
    all of the line that you have stripped out. In other words, if you have 40-ft of line out and you decide to cast to a spot
    25-ft away, reel in that extra line. When surf fishing with a sinktip, I still stretch the line before making the first cast.
    My guess is that the very best way to solve these issues is to hook a 20-lber!
    Best,
    Larry S

I have yet to find a line that doesn't tangle. Currently I use a RIO clear camo intermediate line and it tangles on me at least 10 or so times a day and I cast the all the line that I have stripped out. On a good warm day I pull out my line and place it stretched out in the sun, it works for a little bit but then goes back to being tangled. And I fish with that line at least once if not twice a week every week, so it is now due to being unused. Whoever figures out how to make a line that doesn't do that will make a fortune. The best way to alleviate this is with a stripping mat or bucket with the pointy things on it. I am coming up with a small version to use on my kayak.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thanks for the information, much appreciated.

Theres a difference between tangling and twisting. Clear lines are notorious for tangling. "climate specific lines" will tangle if not used in the apropriate application. Lines that spend a lot of time on a reel will have memmory (some lines are worse than others). Twisting is a different animal all together. I experienced twisting for the first time in my 25+ years flyfishing last weekend. It happened with all 3 different lines I used. The common denominator was casting MASSIVE flies. Bigger flies than Ive ever thrown before. I used a barrel swivel on my leader so the problem has to be in the casting stroke.

RLR,
    I knew we'd get some good info coming in. An old trick we would use when encountering twisting in spin/bait
    fishing line is to let free line into the current or behind a moving boat. Don't think I've ever tried that with a flyline.
    There are "new" products out that I have an interest in - micro swivels, etc.
    Jay is right, as always. Tangles and twists are not the same. Sir Walter Scott's line "what a tangled web we weave"
    just doesn't sound the same substituting "twisted."
    Hope we get more advice.
    Best,
    Larry S

I've found that any line will twist if you're roll-casting a lot , or especially running lines for shooting heads .

To un twist - cast all the line out , point the rod tip at where the line is . Slowly draw a length of line from the first stripping guide to past the Reel . Pinch the line against the first stripping guide , letting the rest of the line create a bow from the guide to the reel . See which way the line is twisting (Left or Right) , Rotate/spin the rod the opposite direction 7 to 10 times . It looks silly when you're holding the rod butt and making a ring around the stripping guide ... spinning the whole damned thing around .... but it'll cure the twist .

Tangling ? Some lines are worse than others . The two worst ones I have are a Rio Striper DC sink tip (I'd like to use it to hang the SOB who designed it off a cliff... even that wouldn't straighten-out the coiling problem it has !) , and a S.A. intermediate running line (8 out of every 10 casts will tangle , using a bucket/laid our flat/stretched/threatened/etc. .... not a clue as to why) . Strangely , it seems that the higher the line speed , the more likely a tangle is . In my Hands , anyways .

Mono leaders should be fresh . By fresh , I mean old mono tossed EVERY year .

D.~

Can't say I have experienced a twist. But tangles absolutely. Haven't had any fish on when the tangles happen. Some are easier to detangle than others. When I spin casted, I some times got bird nests, mainly because we used 2# line. Those I just cut the line.

Few things in life will chap you like a HOT Fish streaking off ... and a big ol' snarl of flyline crashing into the stripping guide - SNAP !!

I try hard to avoid that situation ....

D.~

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee View Post
    Few things in life will chap you like a HOT Fish streaking off ... and a big ol' snarl of flyline crashing into the stripping guide - SNAP !!

I try hard to avoid that situation ....

D.~
    I have had a monster salty beast rip a HUGE tangle thru my guides! I couldnt believe it didnt seperate a ferrule. I thought the line was toast after landing the fish. the knot was cinched down aweful tight.

Reno. Someone was asking about line twisting on another board a month ago. i replied I have never had a line twist in 25 yrs of fly fishing. That all changed last weekend! Always learning