Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I did something stupid

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Wow, it's like deja vu, Bob. The last time I fished the Upper Sac worked my down a rather difficult access. I made it through the hard part and was in the river bed. I had new felt soles and stepped on a flat, slightly sloping rock and my foot slid off like it was ice. I went down hard and whacked my head on another rock, raising a big welt. My eye glass case was in my vest pocket and it was dented because of the fall. The same thing flashed through my mind as you "If I was incapacitated down here, no one would find me for a long time." I started carrying a stick and making sure someone knew where I was going in more detail than I ever have before.

It can happen that fast, and that surprising to even the best outdoorsmen.

Great lesson. Thanks for sharing and glad it didn't turn out worse for you.

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    Scott, what is SPOT - GPS location or something? Sounds like good investment.Cheers Steve

SPOT is a satellite device that allows you to send you GPS location to people that you have saved on a list. I send my wife my location to where I am fishing, it sends here a email and text message with a link to google map showing my location. I can hit another button that sends her a come help me message, or I can hit the emergency button and rescue will come to me. I never fish without it, too many close calls in the back woods.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I don't rock hop anymore. I butt slide.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    I don't rock hop anymore. I butt slide.
    Ha! Glad to see I'm not the only one
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

My favorite bottom . . . gravel or sand!

Hi Guys, I am new here but not new to safety devices as I work in the Maritime industry. I carry a PLB rather than a SPOT unit. While Spot is a valid entry level device, a PLB is much better for emergency aid in my opinion. The initial cost for a PLB is higher (mine cost $300.00) however, the 5 year cost is much lower because Spot usually retails for $119 but requires a subscription cost of $99 - $149 each year. A PLB does not require a subscription service for emergency aid. After 5 years the PLB will require new batteries at around $150. Spot recommends new batteries every 3 months but they recommend 3 Lithium AAA batteries at $20 for a four pack. So 3 packs per year at $60 for 5 years is $300.

Now it used to be that SPOT was the only device that could send "I am Okay" messages but, there are now PLB devices from ACR that send I am ok messages for less than half the cost of the SPOT subscription fee. So if I am okay messages are important to you can do that with a PLB by adding the subscription fee of between $40 and $60. But with the PLB you can forego the subscription fee and just use it for emergencies with no additional cost. The SPOT requires a subscription for sending I am okay and for emergencies.

My biggest reason for choosing a PLB over SPOT is because SPOT has a much lower transmit power (reported as 400 miliwatts or .4 watts)) which is sent to a commercially run satellite system that is monitored by a third party who will call SAR for you. Where as a PLB transmits at a reported 5 watts of power to a government run search and rescue satellite system which is the same system used by ships and airlines and the PLB backs up the satellite signal with a 121 mhz radio homing signal. I like the idea of multiple methods of transmission at a higher power if I decide that I need help.

I hope I am not stepping on any ones toes here but, I thought I should point out that there are differences that are important when your life is on the line. But please don't believe me do some research of your own to decide what device is best for you. Using a search engine look for SPOT vs PLB. REI, Landfall Navigation, West Marine and many others have lots of first person accounts regarding the use of these two devices.

Regards, Tim C.