Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIO Skagit Flight question

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    From what I understand the general rule is for heavier tips and flies you need a head with more grains for lifting power and turn over. Maybe one of our spey gurus can chime in?

That would be the case Jeff to a certain degree. But then you have to think that the rods can only handle so much weight before you over load it and risk breaking the rod.
    Last edited by winxp_man; 10-18-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

I agree with that point. I found out the hard way when the TCXs first came out. Bruce and I were breaking them left and right. Turns out were were casting T-14 tips on 6 wts. Sage said that we were overstressing the rods with the T-14 tips. Obviously, if you are going to heavier heads, tips and flies as big as chickens you would use the appropriate weight rod.

Sounds like you guys are way over lining your rods? No need for T-17- T -20. Sounds like 9-10wt. work. If you research sink rates nothing really sinks much faster than T-14. Most of my local winter steelheading I use T-11 or less + - a bullet weight. T-11 has plenty of umph to toss a dead chicken! Further north to B.C. T-14. Now I understand why all these Sage rods are breaking! ( the wet noodle...I like mine "al dente") Lighter lines are much more enjoyable to cast ... Especially all day long.

Mark, I use 15 ft tapered sink tips 90 % if the time. I only go the the T type tips if I have to get down deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Sounds like you guys are way over lining your rods? No need for T-17- T -20. Sounds like 9-10wt. work.
    And what is the thinking with taking a light, fast-action rod and dumping such heavy stuff on it?

Default Aron

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    From what I understand the general rule is for heavier tips and flies you need a head with more grains for lifting power and turn over. Maybe one of our spey gurus can chime in?
    The thing I like about Aron is He perfects his theory in practice before he posts...That way it is fact verses conjecture...He handed me his 14 rod this year and I thought no way could I handle such a rod... He almost did not get it back...He knows what he is talking about...

I have found that slipping the head thru conduit and crimping this doen on the line really makes for a slow deep presentation

Quote Originally Posted by winxp_man View Post
    I have a way of using iFlight heads.

Example. Sage TCX #7 Spey rod.

500gr iFlight head I use with heavier tips. T-14, T-20

550gr iFlight head I use with smaller tips. T-8, T-11

This so far has been very effective for me and lets me keep to much line weight off my rod. Some times its not good to over load a rod. I tend to see that being the case when you us heavier flies to. DAVID95670 is my witness to this. When I caught my first salmon on the American this year while fishing together.
    I agree with those who posted questions about your system of using the heavier Skagit lines with the lighter tips. Seems to me, from every thing I have read or heard about Skagit heads is that it is the section of the line closest to the rod tip which loads the rod. It would seem that if your I-Flight 500 gr head can handle T-14 and T-20 on your rod, it should also cast T-8 and T-11 like a champ, eliminating the need for the 550 gr head with that rod. I have been using the I-Flight almost exclusively since I acquired one last winter.
    Brian Endlich

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I agree with those who posted questions about your system of using the heavier Skagit lines with the lighter tips. Seems to me, from every thing I have read or heard about Skagit heads is that it is the section of the line closest to the rod tip which loads the rod. It would seem that if your I-Flight 500 gr head can handle T-14 and T-20 on your rod, it should also cast T-8 and T-11 like a champ, eliminating the need for the 550 gr head with that rod. I have been using the I-Flight almost exclusively since I acquired one last winter.
    I will cast the lighter tips but your casting has to change and some times it gets to be a pain. The TCX being a faster rod if you use a T-8 or T-11 with a lighter head will require you to slow down a bit and I really like pushing my rods faster. What happens seems to be that the anchor gets blown being there is less weight so you just have to keep that in mind.

For me it all works out because I have quite a few two handed rods and a mixture of skagit heads (either floating or intermediate) for all of them. I also have been using them exclusively. Im at three months first this year going on 4 so I'm out quite a bit testing this fun toys out
    Last edited by winxp_man; 10-29-2013 at 09:57 PM.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Originally posted by winxp-man:

" I really like pushing my rods faster" *** Ah, the exuberance of youth !!

A lot of us middle-aged folks love the feel of a long, deep, slow, powerful rod, launching the payload with a palpable WHUMP !

A pleasant alternative to jacking many of todays extra stiff sticks...but, variety, the spice of life, eh?

Spey casting since '87
    Brian Endlich