Thread: I've been on a Jim Harrison kick...

Default I've been on a Jim Harrison kick...

It is utterly soothing to fly-fish for trout. All other considerations or worries drift away and you couldn't keep them close if you wanted. Perhaps it's standing thigh deep in a river with the water passing at the exact but varying speed of life. You easily recognize this mortality and it dissipates into the landscape. If there are flying insects and the trout are feeding on them you fish with dry flies. If there's no surface activity you fish with streamers which imitate minnows or with nymphs which imitate the insect larvae that emerge from the streambed and float along with the current.

__Jim Harrison, "True North"

Love his writing, and seeing him on "No Reservations". "Crusty" don't even begin to cover him.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

I wish I could find a copy of that "No Reservations" with Harrison and Chatham. I recently got to spend the day with Russell and we talked about it. Actually we talked more about food and the restaurant life than anything. Both of their writing styles are great and fun to read.

I enthusiastically recommend Harrison's recent book "Farmer's Daughter". Actually it's 3 novellas.
    Fish like the humans you are-- L. Hemingway

Likely America's greatest living writer........IMO