Thread: Redington's New Rods

Default Redington's New Rods

I was recently given a chance to fish with three of Redingtons new rods, The Vapen, The Vapen Red and the Butterstick. Here are my reviews.

Vapen

I have this rod in a 9'6" 6 weight and it has more power than much pricier rods. I have used it for everything from dry to heavy streamers. It is a very fast stiff rod, however if you are gentle, it can produce gentle presentations. This rod excels in throwing heavier lines and big flies with ease. It has "easy" power, which means you don't have to work hard to get long casts out of it. This is the reason I would recommend this rod to someone looking for a streamer rod, it wont beat you up. If you simply back off the power the rod will do the work for you.

Vapen Red

The Vapen Red is the most comfortable rod in the hand I have ever casted. The grip seems to actually give you more feel over how the rod is loading and unloading. It has plenty of power to roll a heavy nymph rig into any lie you can dream of. Plus it is one of the most beautiful graphite wraps I've ever seen. If you want looks, comfort and power this rod is for you. But, there is more, switch to a dry fly and this will cast a laser tight loop with minimal effort and great presentation.

And My Hands Down Favorite Rod: The Butterstick

This rod is smooth and can throw laser tight loops. However, unlike most fast rods these days the flies will actually land softly. It will also roll cast a two fly weighted indicator rig as far as you could ever need. Once its out there, this rod will stack mend like a champ. When you have a fish on it's soft tip will protect the lightest tippet, and the stiffer butt section has the power to turn a big fish. Simply put, this rod will do it all and would be a great addition to any arsenal.
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/

Redington's web site page for rods.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Question Butterstick....

I've cast all of these rods at a local shop in the past and agree that all but the Butterstick are fast action and light weight. However, I believe the Butterstick is a slow (soft) action rod. You can cast a tight loop or open it up to a wide loop easily.

It appears to be made of fiber glass (maybe a composite???) and bends down into the lower end of the blank. It seems to be designed for smooth, relaxed casting and tippet protection during a strike. The grip on the rod I cast was cork with slip rings, red windings and a single stripping guide. Pleasant look.

If I didn't already have a rod of this type, I'd make this one my next purchase. Great rod for sunnies, bass and smaller trout streams.
    Last edited by Darian; 10-07-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    If I didn't already have a rod of this type, I'd make this one my next purchase. Great rod for sunnies, bass and smaller trout streams.
    Same, I also got an old glassy I break out for certain places. If you have to throw 6 or 7x for spring creek type fish that are big, glass is hard to beat. Its interesting, the blank looks a lot like the Lamiglas one Ive been using, I wonder if they're making the blanks for Redington. Meh, probably not, Redington has access to a lot of their own resources, they probably don't need to. Good to see another big name going back to glass, its a great material.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

The Butterstick is indeed sweet for the $. If you haven't seen a Vapen Red yet check it out, the Grip and blank make it fantastic.

The Butterstick is a fiberglass rod and the more I have fished it the more I love it...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	securedownload-3.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	7703

Ive had a few more days recently where my clients fished the Vapen and Vapen Red. Here are a couple fish taken on them. The Vapen in 9'6" 6 weight is awesome on the Lower Sac and Pit 5. The Vapen red in a 9' 5 weight is the perfect rod for Hat creek.

Name:	securedownload.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	7704

Name:	securedownload-1.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	7705

Name:	IMG_4820.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	7706
    If he had it his way nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching it

I have a few questions and concerns and since this is a older post maybe someone has some input. I have heard rave reports about the Vapen and I love the CPS rod which some have said the Vapen is a improved CPS. Here is my concern. I golf, sometimes a lot. I have to re-grip my sticks just about once a year. The grips get slick, worn, tears and so on. I fish more than I golf, spend more time in the sun and on the water then golf. I like Winn grips but how is this technology on the Vapen Red going to hold up 5 years form now after a couple 1000 hours on the water baking in the sun, getting wet and drying out. Is this grip replaceable or warrantied. Are you going to have to change the rod out every couple season or so. I been to Redingtons web site and I can't find the answer there. Any input from anyone who currently own one and how it's holding up would be great. I think I want to own but hesitant to pull the trigger.

Hey Mr. Inmeat,
    I have been using the Vapens on my boat for close to a year now and they wear and perform nicely. They are not A Sage XI3 but for their price tag, I don't think there is a fast action rod that performs better. The Winn grip gets dirty but is easily cleaned. The Redington warranty is probably the best in the industry. I had a client break a Vapen and for $30.00 and less than two weeks time the rod was replaced NOT repaired. Awesome! I now have 4 on board. Best bang for your buck for throwing heavy lines and big flies.
    Pull the trigger.
    HATCH