Thread: Boat mold

Default Boat mold

So I found an add on craigslist for an 8ft fiberglass boat for $50. The picture was of a boat similar to the Olympian hull. Talked the guy down to $40 over the phone. My dad was buying it but I was using my truck to pick it up. When We got there the first thing I noticed was it wasn't a boat but a boat mold someone was using as a boat. So he bought it anyways. Now we can pop out a couple boats and both have one.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	913 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	7665Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	7664

That looks like the hull of the Olympian Boats made by Columbia Fiberglass near Seattle, WA.

http://boat-manufacturers.findthebes...bia-Fiberglass

Other knockoffs where the TP&L (Tom, Pat & Larry) Boats from Los Gatos........I sold those in the 1970s.

Later TP&L was sold to a Brian who then called it Outboack Boats in the Bay Area.......now closed

Then I worked with Jack Keaton who made the Keaton Prams. They were the best quality.....

I think Gary still can make those Keaton Prams at Classic Craft in Rancho Cordova. He has the molds and the know how....

If you go talk to Gary at Classic Craft in Rancho Cordova he can tell you about building fiber glass hulls off that mold.

You can probably look for a video on Youtube too.

They use a special release agent on the inside of the mold.

I think they use compressed air to pop out the curred hulls.

After they get a hull made they then put in a flat floor with foam under neith and make some kind of seats our of plywood and fiber glass.

Gary has some molds just like yours.

http://www.classiccraftboats.com/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill,
    The website you listed is not Gary’s. His site is: www.SacramentoBoatRepair.net

His contact telephone number is (916) 383-2150

I’ve known Gary for close to 40 years and I agree with you, he is one of the best at anything related to fiberglass or wooden boats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151025_155704.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	11322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151025_155441.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	11321Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151025_155454.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	11320So digging up this old thread. After picking this mold up I shopped around for somebody to lay up a couple boats. Well what everybody was estimating wasn't worth it due to the fact I could pick up an 8 to 10 foot aluminum boat for less than half the cost to have one popped out of this mold. So it just sat. Fast forward to a couple months ago. My dad was cleaning up at his house and sent it home with me. My plan is to smooth and finish the sides and bottom put a transom on it and some sort of interior. My questions are what is the best way to finish the sides and bottom and any ideas on what to do for interior. My plan is to replace my other pram with this on as its a more stable platform.