Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Combat on American River

Default Combat on American River

Be aware that the gear guys definitely do not welcome spey casters near them at this time especially at H Street.

Aron and I had a run in with them yesterday morning and this morning they were hostile when i was there casting.

In their words "YOU ARE NOT WELCOME ON OUR RIVER" Aron's reply of "F@#$ You" was poorly recieved.

be prepared for combat it will happen

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    Be aware that the gear guys definitely do not welcome spey casters near them at this time especially at H Street.

Aron and I had a run in with them yesterday morning and this morning they were hostile when i was there casting.

In their words "YOU ARE NOT WELCOME ON OUR RIVER" Aron's reply of "F@#$ You" was poorly recieved.

I've been planning on learning to Spey cast (thanks for your advice earlier David) but TBH this really puts me off - the idea of dealing with these kind of people.

Are there other decent waters to Spey Cast in the area that I could try or have to go much further afield e.g. Trinity?

Anyway good luck dealing with them, hope you connect with some chrome right in front of them!

Yep, those are the river park locals. They have been fishing that run for years. You will have to fish the bottom of the run with the fly, plus I wouldn't won't to get tangled with all that mono. Mono isn't a fly lines friend unless you like a sliced and diced fly line. I never had a problem with them at the bottom of the run with a single hander.

Default Food Source

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Yep, those are the river park locals. They have been fishing that run for years. You will have to fish the bottom of the run with the fly, plus I wouldn't won't to get tangled with all that mono. Mono isn't a fly lines friend unless you like a sliced and diced fly line. I never had a problem with them at the bottom of the run with a single hander.
    You would think a dead or dying Salmon was a food source....JMOP

we were fishing the bottom of the run, they got pissed when they let their hooked fish drift down the main channel not trying to control it. They could bring it in behind us close to the island but they won't. It simply has begun a battle.

Steve there are a ton of places to fish without the line up. i just thought we could all live together. it was not to be had. they also got pissed when we called them out using 15 to 30 ft leaders which are illegal.
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 09-27-2013 at 01:07 PM.

Just another reason why I love my kayak. To get away from jerks on the river, opps I'm sorry, to get away from snaggers on the river.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

David,
    Those are not "gear guys", those are snaggers. They come in all forms. Using 30 foot leaders with gear, camping out on redds with gear, or fly rods. A true fisherman/woman will not need room for a 30 foot leader. I think the people you encoutered feel more comfortable when everyone around them is fishing the same way, ILLEGALLY!

I have fished with a fly rod for fifty years or so, longer than that with gear. I don't have a problem with either group, as long as you're fishing for biters, not fish that are actively spawning, or are just passing by and happen to open their mouth at the wrong time, and get "flossed" with a long leader.

I just get tired of hearing complaints using generalities like "gear guys", or "fly snobs".

BTW, Aarons reply, in my opinion, was entirely appropriate. Succinct and to the point.

Chuck

Aaron does have that je ne sais quoi

When salmon are running up a river it brings out the worst in people...or is the worst people?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

we were fishing the bottom of the run, they got pissed when they let their hooked fish drift down the main channel not trying to control it. They could bring it in behind us close to the island but they won't. It simply has begun a battle.

Steve there are a ton of places to fish without the line up. i just thought we could all live together. it was not to be had. they also got pissed when we called them out using 15 to 30 ft leaders which are illegal.
    Please elaborate how this is illegal, never heard of that before.